AGGS or Loreto

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bingbong

AGGS or Loreto

Post by Bingbong »

Anyone else struggling with which of these two schools to send their daughter to? CAF date is looming and we are still undecided.
catmum

Re: AGGS or Loreto

Post by catmum »

My DS went to loreto. I can say that it is a very nurturing and caring school, pastoral care is excellent. Academically it achieves very good results, on paper the results aren't as impressive as AGGS but as the intake is from a broader range of academic starting points, the actual outcomes for progress are jsut as good,I think the figures are around the top 30%-40% pass for Loreto, but only the top 20% AGGS?
It is a faith school which underpins it's ethos and attitude but I don't think it is overly 'religious', the girls develop a caring thoughtful attitude but are also strongly encouraged to be aware of what ''women'' can achieve and thier own strengths. It has a very strong maths and science department

I can't comment on AGGS but I get the impression that it is somewaht more competetive than Loreto and I believe a number of the girls find they cannot continue into 6th form due to the high GCSE grades they have to attain to enter.

I guess it depends on your child and which environment you feel they would thrive in
Hope this helps
Bingbong

Post by Bingbong »

Thank you
Time doesn't fly

Post by Time doesn't fly »

I think catmum has covered it all. I know many girls in both schools, and parents. The open day for Loreto confirmed what we had been told, and Loreto has been our 1st choice from the start. Results meant that we can't choose AGGS, but we were thrilled with the pass for Loreto. It appears to be a more rounded school, lots more pastoral support, community type feel, still very academic though. AGGS is much more focused on academics, and I know a few girls who have been told they can't sit their exams there as they aren't quite up to A*standard for a-levels. Having said that, if your daughter is very academic and wants the extra push that AGGS gives, then that may be the school for her. What was your feeling when you went to the open days?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

catmum wrote:a number of the girls find they cannot continue into 6th form due to the high GCSE grades they have to attain to enter.
I think 90% of girls at AGGS progress to 6th form, some of course choose not to since they have had enough of an all girls environment.

It is one of the most academic state schools in the UK but if they have passed I would have confidence that could cope some Loreto girls do transfer to AGGS for sixth form.
Bingbong

Post by Bingbong »

Time doesn't fly wrote:I think catmum has covered it all. I know many girls in both schools, and parents. The open day for Loreto confirmed what we had been told, and Loreto has been our 1st choice from the start. Results meant that we can't choose AGGS, but we were thrilled with the pass for Loreto. It appears to be a more rounded school, lots more pastoral support, community type feel, still very academic though. AGGS is much more focused on academics, and I know a few girls who have been told they can't sit their exams there as they aren't quite up to A*standard for a-levels. Having said that, if your daughter is very academic and wants the extra push that AGGS gives, then that may be the school for her. What was your feeling when you went to the open days?
I did go to both open days and I felt the same as you about the schools. However, I worry that the 'community' feel at Loreto is at the expense of a broader range of views and friends (from other religions and with other experiences) but it did feel like a friendly cohesive school.
Time doesn't fly

Post by Time doesn't fly »

I was much more impressed with the head's speech about them wanting to nurture the whole individual whereas AGGS' was all about how high up in the league tables they were. I think a top girls' grammar is in itself unnatural- single sex and many girls coming from very similar backgrounds. We figured that we have a good mix of friends with a variety of backgrounds/ religions which dd is exposed to, and an education environment which she is happy and nurtured is best for her. Which does your daughter want?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Bingbong-stop fretting either way your DD will be fine-some here have much worse dilemmas.
Well done to your DD-enjoy-chillax.
Bingbong

Post by Bingbong »

Wow. Did not expect to be shamed on this forum. My daughter may have passed for both but that doesn't mean I don't have valid concerns.
Snoopymum

Post by Snoopymum »

Hi parents, does anyone know the chances of a non RC being accepted to Loreto? My dd only just passed the exam but really loves the school! She already attends one of the RC feeder schools so understands the religious aspects. Thx in advance for any advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now