Altrincham Grammar Schools for Boys!! Please advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sdya

Altrincham Grammar Schools for Boys!! Please advice

Post by Sdya »

Hi I have just moved to Altrincham from newcastle. I have a 9 year old son and ( like all parents) I want him to go to grammar school. The problem is I don't know anything about these 11plus exams or grammar schools in short. I am ready to get him a one on one tutor solely for the preparation of these test. I have been searching online but instead of getting everything sorted out I am getting more confused and anxious. Please help can anyone who have first hand experience with their kids passing these tests recommend any tutors for these admission tests ( esp Altrincham Grammar School please)
There are some online review but not really helpful in making a decisive choice !!!!
Cheers
lainey01

Re: Altrincham Grammar Schools for Boys!! Please advice

Post by lainey01 »

Hi,
the first thing to do is to go to the open evenings of all the schools, both grammar and high schools. They are all quite different, and see which one is the best fit for your child. Best to visit in year 5, before you decide whether or not its for you.

There are two different tests at the moment: GL (Alty Boys still use this) and CEM which is used by the Trafford Consortium (Sale, Stretford, Urmston and Alty Girls). Have a look on their websites, some will have familiarisation booklets to give you an idea of the test.

The best preparation, initially, is reading and getting those times tables spot on. Then, nearer the time (I start Jan/Easter before the exam in September) I've started tutoring, just an hour a week. A little homework at the start, and that's built up slowly over the time. Its mainly practice papers/timing exercises.

Let's face it, the majority of children are tutored in some way, and when you start it is up to you. Prep schools do the work, state primaries don't (or, shouldn't - I've heard some do).

There are companies or you can find individual tutors. Some tentative enquiries in the playground may turn up a recommendation or two. There are mock tests which can be taken in the run up. I would recommend doing at least one to combat nerves (I nearly cried the first time, so it was helpful to me as well as the children). For me, it was about putting my child in an unfamiliar environment, queuing round the block to get in, asking where the toilets were etc. and less about the mark they got.

We all do things differently, start at different times, tutor individually or with others. The main thing is to not get worked up about it. No child is a failure for not passing, and (for me) its about creating choice. They are very young at 10/11 years old, and all develop at different times. Its only as stressful as you make it (my mantra for the next week!!) :D

I've tried to be brief and offer an overview, but please feel free to ask if you have questions. Hope this helps.
camb21

Re: Altrincham Grammar Schools for Boys!! Please advice

Post by camb21 »

Hi Lainey 01, I'm just interested in your post about the mock exams. Can you give a little more detail on them? Is it just Alty Boys that offer these or the whole Trafford Consortium? Any details or where to find more details would be greatly appreciated!