AGSB Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
samay007

Re: AGSB Exam

Post by samay007 »

My DS sat for his AGSB exams yesterday, came out with a big grin from ear to ear and said it went well. He will be doing his Trafford CEM on Monday (can't wait for it to finish). He feels more relaxed now though he finds CEM more harder than GL. We live in stockport, so out of catchment for both. Dreading for the results, fingers crossed he gets into one.
minecraftmum

Post by minecraftmum »

Can I ask if you live within the catchment and pass at 334 do you receive a place if stated 1st choice on CAF form or it is based on highest score within catchment/and closest to school? On Stretford Grammar School website shows the lowest score for 2016 was 353....
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

I thought for all in catchment, so long as you hit 334 then the score doesn't matter (so 334/350/360 or highter). The scores only come into play in OOC. But I thought that was the same for all the Trafford schools so confused about Stretford if that's the case!
Last edited by Trafmum82 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not from your area (just nosey!) but there is some information here, as well as links to the admission criteria which should give you the information you want https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... rd-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
minecraftmum

Post by minecraftmum »

just says " this does not in itself guarantee a place" on their admission police so was not sure. Doing a last exercise of verbal reasoning .. cloze questions and shuffled sentences...
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

We have had a day off today... day at Sale Water Park and out for lunch, trying to tire DS out before tomorrow in the hope he get a decent nights sleep :lol: :lol:

Shuffled Sentences are the bane of our life! DS finds those so hard and in the mocks has always struggled on them! Those and the comp are probably his weakest areas.
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

minecraftmum wrote:just says " this does not in itself guarantee a place" on their admission police so was not sure. Doing a last exercise of verbal reasoning .. cloze questions and shuffled sentences...
I think what it means is, say they have 300 children who achieved a qualifying score, then they will not all get a place, as there aren't 300 places if that makes sense?
minecraftmum

Post by minecraftmum »

Oh I see, I was going to ask at the Open Evening but the admissions questions desk queue was enormous.... DS is strong in Maths and NVR, he is fine with the comprehension part but just depends the time allowed. Good luck for tomorrow.
Brainfreeze

Post by Brainfreeze »

It sounds like most boys have found this year's exam reasonable in terms of difficulty and timing. That wasn't true the year my DS did it (2 years ago). That year, most people on here were saying that their DS hadn't finished the Maths paper.

I'm pleased as it makes them feel more positive about subsequent exams.

Good luck to all taking the Consortium exam this morning!!

As for catchment - if you are in catchment for ASGB and attain 334, your actual mark is not important. All boys in catchment who get 334 are offered a place. Unless as stated above, they run out of catchment places. I'm pretty sure they skew their standardisation process to ensure that they still have OOC places available after catchment places have been filled up. That way they get to cherry pick a few of the brightest boys from further away.

The above is only for AGSB - the other schools have slightly different policies.

I hope the kids are getting lots of treats this afternoon/evening :-)
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

My DS is currently in the queue waiting to go in with my partner! I am working so just waiting for news that he has gone in ok!

He was quite excited this morning! No nerves, but he is quite relaxed in general. He did have 2 nosebleeds last night though... he gets them often, just rubbish timing! Hoping his nose holds out through the exam :shock: