Non catholics at St Ambrose...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: Non catholics at St Ambrose...

Post by yoyo123 »

Sorry, Mandy. I really meant to ask The original poster.
twinsgashead

Post by twinsgashead »

My sons are at St Ambrose and there are a only one or two non-catholics in their year - one boy I believe is Greek Orthodox, another CofE. It is over subscribed so tends to fill all its places with boys who fall into the category of 'baptised catholic' but you never know how that changes year on year. It is like all Catholic secondary schools I imagine (having attended one) in that RE is compulsory (and at GCSE where they study Judaism and Christianity/Catholicism as part of the syllabus but are also currently studying Islam but won't be examined) and prayers are said, mass takes place on occasions during the term and has a strong pastoral feel to it. Depends on how put off you are by all that I suppose. At least one parent who sends their boys there probably had similar schooling and won't find that strange. My husband is completely agnostic and didn't but really loves the ethos of the school and doesn't find religion is rammed down their throats at all. Am sure the school is realistic that not that many by 11+ are church going and perhaps questioning religion but is firm in that it offers a catholic education in the above ways.
Cass1

Post by Cass1 »

Apparently the pass mark was a lot higher this year so they have gone down a lot further on the section criteria. The local Catholic Schools haven't got the usual numbers passing the exam. I know of a pupil this year who is baptised CofE who lives 3 miles from school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now