AGSB Results .. this week???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PunkDad62

Re: AGSB Results .. this week???

Post by PunkDad62 »

We're in a similar situation being from Trafford too - our son passed but only by 10 marks. It's a weird feeling really - it should be elation but it feels like he hasn't passed owing to the OOC high score system. Guess it's even more rough on high scoring kids who are OOC but not in Trafford as, from what I understand, they're ranked below Trafford OOC boys irrespective of having a higher mark.

I heard they put on an extra class last year and that lowered the OOC pass mark - I'm not sure what factors lead to an extra class being added but heard from the same source that they don't intend to do this for 2018.[/quote]

The reason for that is in 2006-2007 there was a baby boom in Trafford Schools catchment areas so when those kids reached School Age in 2011-12 there were not enough Reception places and some schools added an extra class intake. E.g St Josephs RC which currently has 90 in YR6 will go down to 60 next year. Replicate that across the area and you can see the added pressure it has on Secondary school places for next year.
wangxiaosara

Post by wangxiaosara »

Dexter wrote:
PerpetuallyTired wrote:Hello everyone.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and found it to be an invaluable source of help and support throughout my DS’s 11+ exams. A big thanks to all the posters and well done to all DCs for their hard work and effort in the exams this year!

My DS sat the exam for AGSB and passed but being OOC (Stretford), I'm feeling very anxious about his chances of actually securing a place after reading the AGSB admissions policy for September 2018 entry.

The PAN will be 173. They’ll be allocating 10 of these places to the highest scoring OOC applicants in receipt of Pupil Premium, living within Trafford and attending a Trafford state school. A further 10 places will be allocated to the highest scoring OOC applicants who live within Trafford and attend a Trafford state maintained school. This leaves 153 places so would it be reasonable to think that maybe this year, due to the extended catchment area (postal addresses of WA13/WA14/WA15/M33 and M23 which lie within the Trafford Local Authority), AGSB could possibly fill those 153 places with IC boys thereby reducing the number of OOC boys they offer places to? If so, presumably the OOC pass mark would be higher than in previous years.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
We're in a similar situation being from Trafford too - our son passed but only by 10 marks. It's a weird feeling really - it should be elation but it feels like he hasn't passed owing to the OOC high score system. Guess it's even more rough on high scoring kids who are OOC but not in Trafford as, from what I understand, they're ranked below Trafford OOC boys irrespective of having a higher mark.

I heard they put on an extra class last year and that lowered the OOC pass mark - I'm not sure what factors lead to an extra class being added but heard from the same source that they don't intend to do this for 2018.
No, there wasn’t any extra intake for last year (2017 entry), it was the year before. PAN for 2017 entry was 173. You can search the form for previous years’ OOC score. This year the OOC score may be higher due to the change of admission criteria.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

PerpetuallyTired wrote:due to the extended catchment area (postal addresses of WA13/WA14/WA15/M33 and M23 which lie within the Trafford Local Authority)
Most of WA13 lies in Warrington and not Trafford although neighbours Bowdon.

Some parts of Warburton (WA13) are in Trafford before the Iram Toll Bridge.
PerpetuallyTired

Post by PerpetuallyTired »

Catseye wrote:
PerpetuallyTired wrote:due to the extended catchment area (postal addresses of WA13/WA14/WA15/M33 and M23 which lie within the Trafford Local Authority)

To clarify, what I meant by "extended catchment area" is that the AGSB catchment area for the purposes of September 2017 entry covered the postal addresses of WA13, WA14 and WA15 which lie within Trafford and postal addresses in certain roads of M33 which lie within Trafford. However, in relation to September 2018 entry, this area has been extended to now include the whole of M33 and those M23 postcodes which lie within the boundaries of Trafford.

So I wondered if it is possible that this year a significantly higher proportion of the intake of 173 boys could be IC boys as opposed to the usual 2/3 IC and 1/3 OOC split that has been mentioned previously on the forum. If this proves to be the case, could anyone hazard an educated guess as to what the OOC pass mark could likely increase to???

Thanks from an anxious mum
wangxiaosara

Post by wangxiaosara »

To be honest, nobody knows the answer (even the school) until the 1st of March. Even after the allocation day, there are still be some movements (there are numbers of boy each year turning down AGSB’s offer in favour of MGS). So the school usually knows the accurate occ score by April.
PerpetuallyTired wrote:
Catseye wrote:

To clarify, what I meant by "extended catchment area" is that the AGSB catchment area for the purposes of September 2017 entry covered the postal addresses of WA13, WA14 and WA15 which lie within Trafford and postal addresses in certain roads of M33 which lie within Trafford. However, in relation to September 2018 entry, this area has been extended to now include the whole of M33 and those M23 postcodes which lie within the boundaries of Trafford.

So I wondered if it is possible that this year a significantly higher proportion of the intake of 173 boys could be IC boys as opposed to the usual 2/3 IC and 1/3 OOC split that has been mentioned previously on the forum. If this proves to be the case, could anyone hazard an educated guess as to what the OOC pass mark could likely increase to???

Thanks from an anxious mum
PerpetuallyTired

Post by PerpetuallyTired »

Thanks for your reply wangxiaosara!

I guess I'll have to have a good, long think about how to rank the choices on the CAF :?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Perpetually, really important for you to understand that you MUST put the choices in the order you really want them. Blind preference means that if your first choice can't accommodate you due to over subscription ( or non qualification for that matter!) then the next one down becomes your first choice. You won't lose out on lower ranked choices , no matter what school or the rumour mill says !!! Even if you hadn't passed but plan to appeal , you would still put your first choice at the top.
Mary2

Post by Mary2 »

Out of area mark last year was350 and above spoke to admissions at agbs
Mary2

Post by Mary2 »

P.s although I know of a boy who scored around 392 which is roughly 93% and asked the school and was pretty much told he would gain a place with that mark , he lives about 5/6 miles from the school
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now