Trafford Grammar Schools CEM Consortium results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dexter

Re: Trafford Grammar Schools CEM Consortium results?

Post by Dexter »

Gargantuan wrote:Interesting that Urmston’s result matches Sale this year? Post hasn’t come yet, Urmston still outstanding for us but DD passed for her first choice (AGGS). Wider score gap between Sale and AGGS when comparing this year with last year. CEM is an unpredictable beast, that’s for sure. Well done to all.
I don't think Urmston's does match Sale's by default - each school assigns different weightings to the subjects in the exam. Our son passed Stretford, Sale and UGS with slightly different scores. There's a difference of 5 marks across the 3 schools.
Last edited by Dexter on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mananbdesai

Post by mananbdesai »

Yes, the scores are different by around 5 marks. My son's scored 350 (Urmston), 351 (Sale) and 354 (Stretford). The challenge though is we are out of catchment, not sure how many seats will be vacant after the students from catchment are selected. Any views around what the cut-off for OOC was last year for these schools?
hdb50

Post by hdb50 »

Dexter wrote:
minecraftmum wrote:yes as shared results for the 3 schools. Feel like my heart is broken, we only live 0.6 miles from the school. Not holding much hope for Urmston then. It was only last night DH and I looked at the comprehensives, not in a good position.
Given what other people have said based on last year, you may be okay for Urmston based on how you are on marks - if it goes on previous trends it looks like you might get a mark or two more. If not, appealing will be well worth it being so close. Make sure your first appeal, for Urmston, is the one you concentrate on as this is the one they go off. In 2016, two pupils in my daughter's school, were both miles off and both got into Urmston on appeal.

The second, independent, appeal is different at Urmston in that it's pretty much already a 'done deal' by the time you see them and very few get in.
Any chance you might be able to shed some light on what they supplied for review to assist in their appeal? So tough as they do not have a face to face and therefore school work is not able to be shown. I can only think of Head support letter, school report, tutor letter of support, anything else I can include?

Thanks, such a lost feeling for my boy being so close and not hitting the mark. The move from GL to CEM has been hard it seems from the forums.
Joy smith

Post by Joy smith »

Top 20 score urmston 385 this year.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

hdb50 wrote:
Dexter wrote:
minecraftmum wrote:yes as shared results for the 3 schools. Feel like my heart is broken, we only live 0.6 miles from the school. Not holding much hope for Urmston then. It was only last night DH and I looked at the comprehensives, not in a good position.
Given what other people have said based on last year, you may be okay for Urmston based on how you are on marks - if it goes on previous trends it looks like you might get a mark or two more. If not, appealing will be well worth it being so close. Make sure your first appeal, for Urmston, is the one you concentrate on as this is the one they go off. In 2016, two pupils in my daughter's school, were both miles off and both got into Urmston on appeal.

The second, independent, appeal is different at Urmston in that it's pretty much already a 'done deal' by the time you see them and very few get in.
Any chance you might be able to shed some light on what they supplied for review to assist in their appeal? So tough as they do not have a face to face and therefore school work is not able to be shown. I can only think of Head support letter, school report, tutor letter of support, anything else I can include?

Thanks, such a lost feeling for my boy being so close and not hitting the mark. The move from GL to CEM has been hard it seems from the forums.
I think the head letter carries the most weight, as would school report. Then you're into personal stuff - I can give you the perspective of appealing the 'wrong' way but how you'd be advised to do it if you researched. Urmston are different in that they consider the real appeal to the first one - when you write to them with your reasons.

The second appeal is the independant one and this is the classic appeal where, if you so wished, you could take legal council to the meeting and challenge the school's reasons for not providing a place for your child across, broadly, two categories: 1) The reason's why the child should go to the school (academic, school being best suited, mitigation for exam performance etc) and 2) Essentially to attack the school's reasons for only being able to allow X pupils that year.

For Urmston, you should focus on the first appeal as that's where there's a lot of movement. I think with a good head letter, report and a personal background then very close cases have an excellent chance. I know for sure that this happened at my kid's primary school and two kids got in that weren't close (20 marks off). We don't really know the full machinations of any individual case but I can say, for certain, that the first appeal is the important one. If I had my time again, I'd have gone to town on this and maybe even asked the head to do more than write a great letter... By the way, both parents of the two kids that got in asked the head to re do the letter as they're weren't happy with strength of the argument.

Don't give up - there's plenty of fight left in this yet and you still have a good chance.
hdb50

Post by hdb50 »

The second, independent, appeal is different at Urmston in that it's pretty much already a 'done deal' by the time you see them and very few get in.[/quote]

Thanks, such a lost feeling for my boy being so close and not hitting the mark. The move from GL to CEM has been hard it seems from the forums.[/quote]

I think the head letter carries the most weight, as would school report. Then you're into personal stuff - I can give you the perspective of appealing the 'wrong' way but how you'd be advised to do it if you researched. Urmston are different in that they consider the real appeal to the first one - when you write to them with your reasons.

The second appeal is the independant one and this is the classic appeal where, if you so wished, you could take legal council to the meeting and challenge the school's reasons for not providing a place for your child across, broadly, two categories: 1) The reason's why the child should go to the school (academic, school being best suited, mitigation for exam performance etc) and 2) Essentially to attack the school's reasons for only being able to allow X pupils that year.

For Urmston, you should focus on the first appeal as that's where there's a lot of movement. I think with a good head letter, report and a personal background then very close cases have an excellent chance. I know for sure that this happened at my kid's primary school and two kids got in that weren't close (20 marks off). We don't really know the full machinations of any individual case but I can say, for certain, that the first appeal is the important one. If I had my time again, I'd have gone to town on this and maybe even asked the head to do more than write a great letter... By the way, both parents of the two kids that got in asked the head to re do the letter as they're weren't happy with strength of the argument.

Don't give up - there's plenty of fight left in this yet and you still have a good chance.[/quote]

Amazing, thank you so much. It's heart wrenching to go through but worth the effort regardless of outcome. Appreciate you taking the time to respond with some useful points.