Any experience of Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trafmum82

Any experience of Appeal?

Post by Trafmum82 »

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of a Trafford Appeal - I've asked on the appeals board but no answers so far.

Basically DC was 6 marks off in Sale and 2 marks off in Stretford (and had a review slip included).

If we were to appeal I would appeal Sale though as its the closest school to us (a short walk away), but he was 6 marks off so I'm not sure if that's too many.

I spoke to the head teacher today and he has said he would support an appeal and will get some academic evidence together, and we have a meeting tomorrow. The whole process seems to be slightly different depending on area, so I was wondering if anyone had been through it for Trafford as no one on the appeals forum seems to be from Trafford? If so I would love to hear from you.

We have Urmston results still to come, but even if he passes I'm not sure if he will go to Urmston as he would rather go to our local secondary.
minecraftmum

Re: Any experience of Appeal?

Post by minecraftmum »

Hi Trafmum82, like you we have the local review slip with just 1 point off Stretford. DH and Ihave a chat with DS teacher who is the Deputy Head today and gauge her feedback as what to do. I should imagine there are a several hundred that have received them that got a score just short of the pass mark, however not sure what the success rate is. I just can't think of any support as to why he was 1 point off apart from nerves/pressure.
Keep me posted as interested on your journey through this....
Needless to say had an awful night sleep last night. Lets see what Urmston brings today ....
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

Good luck with everything today minecraftmum and good luck for the Urmston results!
RP2

Post by RP2 »

Firstly, you are on the right website for advice. I was in your position last year and am finding myself in the same position this year. Last year DS1 was 4 marks off Sale and this year DS2 is 1 mark short. The appeals section of this forum is brilliant. It helped us enormously. When it comes to appeal you have nothing to loose apart from your sanity. Six marks off is, of course, an amazing score and very close. You need to have a letter from your head and supporting evidence of your child's academic abilities. The process is tricky as the appeals last year were held in June and it means a lot of uncertainty. We did not win our appeal despite putting forward excellent evidence and the panel agreeing that our child was clearly academically capable. I wish I could wave a magic wand. This time we are 1 point off but, I still am not entering it with great confidence. In my opinion so many children pass that don't get offered a place it is tricky to argue.
One thing I would say though is that we were glad we gave it a go. It meant that we felt we had done everything we could. Our DS1 is now at a local comp and loving it, flying in the top set. Perhaps things happen for a reason! Good luck! It feels dreadful right now and it's a harsh system but there is light at the end of the tunnel!