Travel from Flixton/Urmston to AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dexter

Travel from Flixton/Urmston to AGSB

Post by Dexter »

Hi there,

Can anyone please help with suggestions on how to get our son to the boy's school? Our daughter goes to AGGS and there's a dedicated bus. It seems this isn't the case for the boy's school, or at least isn't at the moment... I heard anecdotally that there was one at the start of the last term but it was cancelled because of lack of demand.

So I'm really interested in: a) how to find out if they will be putting a Flixton/Urmston bus on for the new 2018 year 7 intake or b) any other suggestions people might have - e.g perhaps there's a private taxi bus that people use in my area.

Any suggestions very gratefully received - as our son's never been out of our sight, and our youngest of 3, it's causing some concern that he's potentially going to have to suddenly become the most independent of the 3 (because the best option we have at the moment is the public 247 bus to Altrincham Interchange then a walk to the school).

Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Re: Travel from Flixton/Urmston to AGSB

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Why has your son never been out of your sight? Usually, parents are more worried about the oldest child and by number three are more relaxed!! Is there a reason you feel he could not cope with public transport? It sounds as if one bus into a stop followed by a walk is quite straight forward really and probably other school boys would be doing the same walk from the interchange. You have time to practise that with him before September so he knows where he is going and boys, particularly, seem to love being independent from their parents!

You could contact your local bus company to find out about potential buses - and or the local council (if this is not a private school) to ask about school bus services. Also the school may know of any private bus arrangements in place. But, I would always encourage people to get their children used to public transport - it is usually the most flexible and will allow the child to fully embrace the school they have (in the main) fought so hard to attend. It also teaches them an independence that they won't get anywhere else - street smart is not to be sniffed at these days - knowing what to do if a bus is late or doesn't turn up, knowuing how to look after your belongings on the bus, knowing how to travel with others etc etc.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Thanks - I probably used 'out of sight' a bit too literally there. The circumstances for us is that our eldest daughter goes to a school in Cheadle Hulme and my wife takes her there on the way to work. Our youngest daughter, as I said, gets a dedicated school bus almost right outside our house (1 minute walk). So, with our son, it just feels like an extreme we'd rather avoid.

Yes, I agree independence and street smarts are really important and we're already doing the trial runs during this holiday. I'd just much rather a 'proper' school bus or something similar, if it were a possibility. If not it's the only choice anyway.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Dexter

I don't have a solution but can offer you some reassurance I hope.

My son went to AGSB from Stockport and left a couple of years ago. he used to take the 370 bus to the Interchange preferring it to the school service which went all round the houses or the train which left a bit too early.

At both the start and end of the day there will be literally dozens of children up and down that road from AGSB, but also Loreto, BTH,AGGS and St Ambrose as well as NC. He will be perfectly fine and probably be walking in a group within days of starting.

The 'school bus' that he chose not to go on was actually a service run for AGGS but boys were allowed on it too. Is it worth looking at the school transport section of TFGM to see if there are any buses he might be able to use.

Otherwise, as per the above, he'll be absolutely fine. this is coming from me, and I'm an anxious parent of an only child! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChinPandabear

Post by ChinPandabear »

I board bus 247 many times for my work travel. There are many kids from secondary school who take that bus(different schools). And as mentioned , there are loads of kids walking to their respective school from alty interchange, in their groups .
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Thank you, Tiddlymum - that is very reassuring. Our son was lucky enough to pass all his entrance exams and we put Urmston down as second choice thinking that, realistically, that was what he was going to get owing to the low number of OOC boys that get a place at AGSB.

We were delighted that, so unexpectedly, he got a place but then did have the odd doubt that maybe he'd have been better off at Urmston after all. No serious doubts, just he seems so small still :-)

Thanks ChinPandabear also. The large amounts of school kids moving to and from the interchange is really helpful.
Brainfreeze

Post by Brainfreeze »

Hi Dexter,

Firstly - congratulations to your DS for getting an OOC place. He sounds like he earned his place comfortably.

AGSB is a fantastic school - my DS is in Y8 and we are delighted with the school.

I understand your reservations and hope you find a transport solution that feels less extreme. But if you don’t, I have a feeling your son will be fine dealing with public transport. As has already been said - there are swarms of bottle-green-blazered boys walking to and from the interchange.

It feels scary to let our little ones into the big bad world - especially the baby of the family - but he will probably rise to the challenge quicker than you expect.

Good luck to him :-)
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Ah thanks, Brainfreeze.

His gran ended up taking him on the bus today, doing the 'walk' and going in the school. Everyone was really nice and helpful and that, plus everyone's advice/reassurance has made us feel much better.

Appreciated.