Help needed to work out result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lurkingjerk

Help needed to work out result

Post by Lurkingjerk »

My son only completed about 80% of the first paper and had a panic attack. The second paper was more maths focused which is his strong point but I strongly felt that the whole process was just too stressful for him.
We didn't have any tutoring and tried a couple of practise papers as we wanted to keep the pressure off but we obviously weren't very successful.

Anyway. Recieved his letters today. He got 261. Qualifying score was 334. Would anybody be able to tell me how he did based on his partial score, is that even possible...bearing in mind i think it's highly likely he would have found the maths portion of the exam far less stressful.

He is very happy with his choice of secondary school by the way. We feel this less pressured environment is more suited to his temperament but we would like to just review the situation/result and put it to bed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Gargantuan

Re: Help needed to work out result

Post by Gargantuan »

It’s impossible to tell how well your son did - or what his score would have been had he completed the maths portion. I realise it’s disappointing when you can see that he may have passed, had he not had a panic attack, but you really will support your son much better if you just move on. Forget the exam now. It’s over and it’s great news that he is so happy with his new secondary school. Allow him to move on from this now and you should too.

I’m very glad that you have chosen a less pressurised environment for your son. Regardless of ability, one of the tests in the entrance examinations is how a child copes under pressure. A grammar school is a hugely competitive environment for a sensitive child and sometimes it is simply a case of maturity.

Your best course of action now is to praise him for even having a go at the exam in the first place. He’s clearly a bright boy and focusing on the positives, whilst firmly moving on will serve him very well indeed.
Lurkingjerk

Post by Lurkingjerk »

Thanks. We've definitely moved onwards and upwards and I've told my son many times that I'm proud of him for giving it his all and taking the exam and I'm proud of him always. Pressure is the biggest test of all it seems...I feel he will benefit more from a less competitive environment, mentally and emotionally.

My son was actually the one who was curious about his result as he noticed the letters before me and they had the school stamp.

I've told him that what really matters is moving on from this and working at coping strategies for the future. I'm trying to help him believe in his abilities and ease the self doubt.
Gargantuan

Post by Gargantuan »

Well done! You sound like a very balanced and supportive parent! Your son will thrive at his new school with an attitude like this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now