DIY Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shrimum

DIY Help

Post by Shrimum »

Hi all, DC will be starting year 5 in September and we are thinking to go DIY route for 11 Plus exams. He will be trying for AGSB and SGS. I am looking for any advice/ help to plan DIY prep. Please help suggest which books/ online subscription we can buy. We are currently working on CGP/Bond 9-10 books. I want to encourage him for Comprehension, verbal reasoning mainly. I tried doing some online research but overwhelmed with the choices available. Thanks for the help!
scary mum

Re: DIY Help

Post by scary mum »

I'm not from your area & hopefully someone can give you some more detailed help soon, but have you tried this section?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... rd-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
enema

Re: DIY Help

Post by enema »

AGSB currently uses GL Assessment so you could get the GL Verbal Reasoning and Non verbal reasoning books. The GL VR test is something that you need to prep for using the GL 'how to' book as there are many question types, often code based. The NVR is less unique and general 11+ NVR books would be of use. Maths - we listed the key topics and went through them using a Y6 maths text book and lots of practice tests downloadable from private school websites. Nb keep an eye on the AGSB admissions page in case it announces it is changing to CEM.

Assuming SGS is Sale or Stretford, they are CEM format so you could try their books. Their tests are mixed verbal, non verbal and maths, so grounding in all is needed. CEM tests are quite speed focused - read up on the CEM section of this website. Also, CEM is also quite focused on synonyms and antonyms so a good vocabulary is vital. Lots of reading books helps.

I DIYed for both types as daughter sat schools using both formats. It can be done! I planned a spreadsheet allocating learning/revision to days throughout Y5, with the last few weeks set aside for timed practice. When you plan it, its amazing how little time there is once you factor in holidays, days when prepping is not viable due to extra curricular activities etc. I'd recommend trying to move fairly quickly through the Bond book age ranges eg a couple of months on 9-10, then on 10-11, then 11-12. The subject sections of this forum were invaluable when we were DIYing. Also used tools like quizlet for vocab, app games eg tanagrams etc. Whatever makes it as fun as possible. Good luck. Happy to be PMd.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now