Local review panel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Betan0711

Local review panel

Post by Betan0711 »

Hi my dd has got within 10 marks of the 334 pass mark for stretford grammar school. We have a formbin the letter offering a local review. We can provide information from the primary school and a letter from the head and year 5/6 teachers.
Just asking if anyone has experience of this? What is the likelihood of it being successful?
bookworm48

Re: Local review panel

Post by bookworm48 »

Hello parents,
I am a parent of a child, who sat the Trafford Consortium exams last year, in 2018. Although it might show that I've just joined this site, I was an active reader of the wealth of information on this site for at least two years - I forgot all my login details, so rejoined to share my experience (and my daughter's).
My daughter had missed the pass mark by 1 point for one school and 12 points for two other schools. I received Local Review forms for two schools but not for one of the schools where she missed by 12 points, presumably because that school was out of catchment.
After my initial shock, I scoured the internet looking for information on what to submit for a Local Review, only to find the information right here on this site. Although, I found information for submitting an appeal, I felt that surely there'd be information relevant that I could use. As a result of my Review application, I can happily say that my daughter's marks for both schools were changed to a pass mark (334R).
Here's a quick rundown of what I did:
1. I contacted the school (Headteacher and Class Teacher) asking if they could provide a supporting letter. I gave them a copy (of this link) from the Appeals section on this site. I was leaving nothing to chance - I wanted the Head to include all necessary details :D
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We received the results on a Saturday, at the start of school holidays, so I emailed them, which I knew they'd see at the start of the new term, then went to see them at the start of term.

2. This link from the site was also very useful:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. On the Local Review form, I backed up all my reasons with evidence, giving reference to something I had enclosed e.g some detail from the Year 5 School Report, the Headtecher's predicted grade etc.

4. I ensured that my information was clear and concise:
I used bullet points and stuck to the facts. I remember reading a post which had said that a review panel has so many applications to go through. I figured then that having lots of forms and a limited set time to go through them, it's possible that any long and drawn out form, which doesn't get straight to the point will be off-putting to the panel.

My daughter had been predicted Greater Depth and her report said Above for Attainment in all subjects. She also didn't have any extenuating circumstances to mention.
At the time I did the Local Review, I couldn't find any info about it from Trafford Consortium parents who'd been through the process, so I hope our experience can help another family. I hope the original poster also had success with their Local Review. xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Great news, bookworm48! :D

Thanks so much for posting about your experience. It will be such a help to other parents.
We get quite a lot of feedback about appeals, but not much about reviews (except for Bucks).
As you say, the sort of evidence needed is similar.

When I have a moment I shall add your experience of a Trafford review to:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

My DS sat the entrance exams 2 years ago. Sadly he did not pass. He was 2 marks off Stretford and 6 of Sale and Urmston.

We decided not to appeal and he is doing amazingly in his secondary school. He is predicted 7s and 8s at GCSE (As and A*s), is in top set for everything and is just thriving. My daughter has sat the exams and has passed and I am pleased for her as that’s what she wants, but I have no doubt she would have done amazingly had she not passed too.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I don’t think grammars are the be all and end all :)
Betan0711

Post by Betan0711 »

Hi
My daughter sat the cem exam in 2018 and was offered a review for Urmston and Stretford. She was successful for Urmston. We submitted a letter from her head, year 5 report (where she was greater depth for everything) and a piece of writing that was deemed excellent. She is really enjoying it at Urmston and we have recently found out that at least half her form didn't pass initially but we're successful on a review.
Good luck.
Educatoretmum

Post by Educatoretmum »

Betan0711 wrote:Hi
My daughter sat the cem exam in 2018 and was offered a review for Urmston and Stretford. She was successful for Urmston. We submitted a letter from her head, year 5 report (where she was greater depth for everything) and a piece of writing that was deemed excellent. She is really enjoying it at Urmston and we have recently found out that at least half her form didn't pass initially but we're successful on a review.
Good luck.
Do you remember how many points she has missed the pass mark by? I’m just about to request a review and we are 11 points under and I’m genuinely unsure if it is worth it.

Glad your daughter is enjoying her school!
Maximeo

Post by Maximeo »

Hi, does anyone know if Loreto do undertake review of marks like other grammar schools do, my DD narrowly missed the qualifying score?

A family friend told me how her DD got into their sixth form college because she scored qualifying mark and was place on waiting list but was not offered a place.
Mstar

Post by Mstar »

Hi Betan0711

My ds requested a local review for Stretford Grammar last year, he was 9 marks off the pass mark.

We supplied a letter from his head teacher and year 6 teacher plus a DS wrote a letter (which was about how he loved sports and was helpful and friendly as opposed to acedemic stuff). His review was successful and he is absolutely loving his school.

Hope this helps,

Mstar
bookworm48

Post by bookworm48 »

Hi Betan0711 (the Original Poster :) )
I'm so glad to hear that your son got through.
bookworm48

Post by bookworm48 »

Hi Etienne,
Thank you very much!
This website and forum is full of invaluable information - including information that you don't think about...until you need it! :) It was a great lifeline for me during the whole exam preparation stage and during the Local Review process. xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now