Age Standardised Scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Panicker

Age Standardised Scoring

Post by Panicker »

Hi, does anyone know how the age standardisation process works? For example is it as simple as one mark being added on for each birth month onwards from September? Or is it more complicated than that?
Thanks very much.
scary mum

Re: Age Standardised Scoring

Post by scary mum »

Good morning. No points are added on or taken off for age. In some years there could be no difference between the raw scores for a certain standardised score between the September born children & the July born children, if the July born children score particularly highly. Children are only compared to those born in the same month as them.
There is an explanation of standardised scores here.
scary mum
Panicker

Post by Panicker »

Thank you so much, that is really helpful. I have children who have September and August birthdates so this was of particular interest to me!
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Hi

I believe that for the CEM exam, points are deducted from the oldest / added for the youngest, during standardisation. You would be best emailing CEM for actual confirmation / explanation.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No this isn't correct, see the explanation I linked to above.
scary mum
bridge

Post by bridge »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 15&t=55981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have not read all the above post but it would seem that points are added to Summer born children. I imagine in areas where all the children (or nearly all) sit the 11 plus meaningful monthly comparisons can be made.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, summer born children really do not have points added. It is theoretically possible for summer born children to need a higher raw score for a certain standardised score. It all depends on the cohort sitting the exam.
If you search on this forum there are many threads on this issue.
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

bridge wrote:https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 15&t=55981

I have not read all the above post but it would seem that points are added to Summer born children. I imagine in areas where all the children (or nearly all) sit the 11 plus meaningful monthly comparisons can be made.
If you read through the whole of that post the explanation of the process is covered thoroughly.
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Hi again.

Have just read the link to the explanation. I may perhaps be wrong in saying that older children have points deducted (I'm no expert). However, I do not agree that "children are only compared to those born in the same month as them". Younger children do end up with higher standardised scores than older children who have the same raw scores and as you have to obtain the pass mark in Trafford to qualify, both younger and older children are being compared with each other rather than just children of their own age. I don't pretend to know all about standardisation but I have personally experienced a difference in CEM standardised marks in double figures between the oldest and the youngest in the cohort with the same raw scores.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, the point of standardisation is to even out the age differences. Imagine the scores for each birth month plotted onto a bell shaped curve. Let's say that the aim is for 30% to qualify. The line will be drawn at 30% for each birth month, and called 121 or whatever the pass marks is (in Bucks it's 121), and may, or may not, result in a different raw score. This isn't a good description of what really happens but it illustrates what I am trying to say. Other than that I don't know what else I can say to convince you.
Maybe a statistician could step.in?
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now