Manchester vs Altrincham Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
saida81

Manchester vs Altrincham Grammar

Post by saida81 »

Hi,

My son has just passed well for Altrincham but we have also applied for MGS in the hope of getting a bursary. What is everyone's experience of the two schools in terms of workload/homework, pastoral care, general happiness of child etc
If he does get a bursary it will probably only be part and as my hubbie is self employed there is chance that his salary will fluctuate and we could end up paying full fees. We are trying to decide whether it is worth turning down a free Altrincham place for a (theoretical) place at MGS that we may have to pay towards.

Any advice/comments/experience welcome!
Catseye

Re: Manchester vs Altrincham Grammar

Post by Catseye »

Where about do you live ? Consider the commute time and 'hidden costs' of MGS.

Small children don't do long commutes well, they tire easily, be kind , be nice .
Chechi_master

Re: Manchester vs Altrincham Grammar

Post by Chechi_master »

It is entirely your personal choice and financial circumstances which is difficult for anyone else to suggest which is better for you.

If I am in your situation, I would have gone for free option. If you can afford circa £12k+ per child then MGS is an option for you. From my understanding the difference in schools are not too much in term of education.

I have not come across any combined rating of private and state schools so I can compare the ranking. If anyone can share a link which rank all schools that will be helpful?

There was a previous thread on the forum which was debating which school's test is hardest with mixed opinions. Instead the thread should have been which school is better and why? What extra £12 k is providing so we can see if this make any economic sense or not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now