AGGS 2020 admissions consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

walidal

Re: AGGS 2020 admissions consultation

Post by walidal »

Trafford 19......I have noticed that you mention that 8 miles is a large area to cover. In some years, the cut off point was cut off at 5 and 6 miles when places nearest to the school were filled. In others the school went way beyond the 8 mile catchment area as shown by following taken from AGGS site

To what mileage have you made offers for the last four years?
2015 entry – 5.44 miles
2016 entry – 11.77 miles
2017 entry – 6.025 miles
2018 entry – 11.18 miles
mmm1980

Post by mmm1980 »

For some years the catchment area was too large, or maybe there were no children between 6 and 8 miles passing the test ? They indicated a 8 miles radius area, but they could not cover that. What about the children that pass and still are in the catchment area ? This may be very misleading for them and their parents.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mmm1980 wrote:For some years the catchment area was too large, or maybe there were no children between 6 and 8 miles passing the test ? They indicated a 8 miles radius area, but they could not cover that. What about the children that pass and still are in the catchment area ? This may be very misleading for them and their parents.
My understanding from these figures is that in 2015 and 2017, the school reached PAN with applicants from relatively close to the school, whereas in 2016 and 2018, PAN was not reached with IC applicants, so OOC applicants were able to obtain a place. Just living within the formal catchment area (and passing the exam, in the case of a selective school) doesn't guarantee a place, if there are more applicants than there are places available. Which is why schools / LEAs now tend to refer to 'priority admissions area' rather than 'catchment'.

However, there is no explanation as to whether these distances were as of March 1st, or the 'last girl in' (one would expect the latter) or how much of an outlier the furthest one was, in the years when the furthest distance offered was obviously OOC. Also, it doesn't mean that everyone who applied, up to that distance, got in, as the admisdions policy has categories within both IC and OOC.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mmm1980

Post by mmm1980 »

Last distance is from 1st March 2018(entry 2018), I read somewhere that the final distance for September allocation was 16 miles. I think they accepted about 220 children.
My feeling is that they are trying to accept all children with a passing mark from catchment area and, if possible, some OOCs. I am 6 miles away from school and in my area I know just 3 children that applied. So probably between 5-8 miles there are very, very few applying, and even fewer passing the test.
Last edited by mmm1980 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

For some years the catchment area was too large, or maybe there were no children between 6 and 8 miles passing the test ? They indicated a 8 miles radius area, but they could not cover that. What about the children that pass and still are in the catchment area ? This may be very misleading for them and their parents.
Passing a GS test or being in catchment does not guarantee anyone an offer of a school place.
What about the children that pass and still are in the catchment area ?
Those who live closest will be offered places up to the published admissions number.

The consultation gives you an opportunity to express your concerns but really unless the school is in breach of the school admissions code it is highly likely to proceed with the draft policy they have outlined. The government is actively encouraging GS to take 'disadvantaged' pupils and it has a financial incentive that is hard for cash strapped schools to ignore.
mmm1980

Post by mmm1980 »

yes, sorry, I was just remarking that AGGS catchment area doesn't really matter at all in the allocation process, it is just an indication of your chances to get a place, as inside the catchment area the places are being allocated based on the distance to school, and outside on the distance as well. The passing score does not matter. Same places would be allocated without any catchment area at all, just distance to school. Because in some years they didn't have places for some catchment area children, they should indicate a smaller catchment, 3 miles radius or so, parents would estimate better their child chance to get a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now