Independent schools Manchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxiousmum1

Independent schools Manchester

Post by anxiousmum1 »

Hello
Wondering if anyone has sat the Manchester girls entry exam today? My DS sat it today and found it challenging. They have this year intoduced CEM into the exam too. This was computer based and not enough time to complete the questions. I'm fairly worried. Any body else have experience.?
Catseye

Re: Independent schools Manchester

Post by Catseye »

My understanding is that the computerised CEM is not designed to be 'completed' , it's has an adaptive algorithm depending on the child's performance on the previous answer. That fact she found it hard means that the questions were stretching her , that's is what it is designed to do.
anxiousmum1

Post by anxiousmum1 »

Hello
Thanks for your reply. That's reassuring to know that it's designed not to be completed. She managed to finish most sections but ran out of time on some specifically the synonyms and antonmys. I don't think she found the questions hard but it was just the shortness of time and the annoying fact that the mouse did not drag the answers to the correct Box very well.
Overall written papers were ok with the latter maths questions being quite challenging.
detailedms

Post by detailedms »

It is interview season - anyone have any tips or know what to expect?

What is the general approach the interviews?
anxiousmum1

Post by anxiousmum1 »

My daughter has been invited to interview too. Any tips from parents whose daughters have been through the process would be useful. My daughter's interview is this coming Thursday. Any idea which order they interview in. We also applied to Bolton and Bury. Interview for Bolton this coming Tuesday. Any tips would be useful. Some of my daughter's friends from the same school have an interview at Bolton as late as the end of next week. Again I don't understand which order they interview in. Any thoughts would be useful.
Carriethecancan

Post by Carriethecancan »

Gosh, we went through all this last year and everyone on here was really supportive. My daughter applied to both Withington and Manchester High having not been at prep school so we didn’t know what to expect. She was fortunate enough to be offered places at both schools. We heard back from Manchester High very quickly after the exam. It was a nervous wait to hear back from WGS. The interview at Manchester High was lovely. The HT was lovely too. It was very informal and my daughter really liked it. The interview at Withington was far more formal and it was definitely a case of them interviewing her rather than selling themselves to her in the way MH had. Ironically, that made her want WGS more.
Carriethecancan

Post by Carriethecancan »

Oh just realised the date you posted. I guess your daughter has had her interviews by now. I hope they went well. I seem to remember on my thread last year, someone told me they interview about 2/3 of those who sit the test and offer to 1/3. Good luck
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

Does the 2/3 interviewed and 1/3 offered place also apply to Cheadle Hulme?

Anyway know are parents interviewed together with child or separately?

What is the approx duration of the interview?
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

Do we find out by email/phone call today or tomorrow wait for post tomorrow?