AGSB OOC Appeal - anyone else?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ariadne

AGSB OOC Appeal - anyone else?

Post by ariadne »

I've been looking at the Appeals section but I can't see many (any?) Trafford appeals so thought it might be worthwhile posting here.

We are OOC and DS did not get offered a place. Admissions have informed me today that they had more qualifying children in catchment than usual, so they have made "only nine or ten" OOC offers, the lowest being a score of 390 (!!) which is significantly higher than DS's score even though he did really well.

Admissions also told me that there is absolutely no way they can create an extra class for the 2019 Y7 until the extension is finished in 2020. She gave the impression the school will be considered to be bursting at the seams so I infer they will push back hard against having to admit any additional children this year.

The school DS has been offered was our second preference and probably good enough, but AGSB is head and shoulders above it in terms of being a good fit for him academically and extracurricularly (is that even a word? :oops: ) so we are staying on the waiting list and preparing our appeal.

If any of you with an AGSB place are thinking about possibly declining it for whatever reason, I'd be very much obliged to you :lol: .
TIDDLYMUM

Re: AGSB OOC Appeal - anyone else?

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

The ooc score really has shot up then in recent years, my son is now 20 and we were OOC he scored 362 , they admitted boys at late 340's early 350's for a number of years. At that time I think about 1/3 of the boys were OOC.

There will probably be a few places declined in favour of Manchester Grammar but that's about it I think.

Hope you get good news.
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

Thanks TIDDLYMUM - so do I!
Lebon

Post by Lebon »

We're in the same boat.. What would be the grounds for appeal ?
Lebon

Post by Lebon »

Wonder whether long term it will affect their standards?? Taking only 9 OOC boys who in general score significantly higher .. but guess its towards a drive to take more in catchment / pupil premium etc ..
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

We'll mostly just be arguing that it's the best fit - we're in a bit of a black spot where we live so we had very few realistic options, just our catchment school (which is what we've been offered) and then everything else is vastly oversubscribed or vastly unsuitable. We have had AGSB on the radar since he was a toddler, indeed moving where we live now based on transport links to Hale. We knew it was a bit of a punt but truly believe worthwhile.

He has a very strong academic history and we'll be highlighting certain of his academic and extracurricular interests which are offered by AGSB but not by the offered school or any other local school. We'll also look at the ethos of the school based on what they've published and what the HT said when we went to the Open Day.

We have parents evening at primary school before the appeal deadline which is helpful. The HT at primary has said they can offer as much supporting data or letters as we need, but can't attend or support in that kind of way (not that we'd have asked). I was worried they would say they weren't allowed to get involved at all but they were very supportive.

(I'm being deliberately vague about some things for a thin veil of anonymity!)

I think they may decide to raise the general pass mark, though the increased PAN may obviate the need for future years. It's very unfortunate that this large birth year is the one year that won't benefit!!
Lebon

Post by Lebon »

Good luck to you!
Do you automatically get to stay on the waiting list regardless of whether or not you appeal? Does an appeal increase your chances in any way?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Winning an appeal takes precedence over the waiting list. Places on the waiting list will be offered up to PAN. If you win an appeal you are offered a place.
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

I've been told today that they will hold the waiting list until current offers are accepted (or hopefully declined) mid-March, then fill any remaining places from that waiting list according to the oversubscription criteria. If any of those waiting list places is declined then the next person on the list is offered and so on.

The waiting list is completely separate from the appeals process, as is our acceptance of the offered place (highly recommended by the way).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The waiting list is completely separate from the appeals process
The administration is separate - but any successful appeals will have an impact on the waiting list if they take the numbers above PAN.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now