Some questions about catchment and AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Iofthetiger

Some questions about catchment and AGSB

Post by Iofthetiger »

Hi.
I am very lucky that my son was awarded a place at AGSB. The pass mark for my son was 334 and I presume this is an in catchment score. I have a few questions regarding this and would be grateful if anyone could answer.
1)Can anyone tell me what the pass marks are for children out of catchment in AGSB?
2) Is living in catchment, a small or large increase in chance of being awarded a place in the school?
3) Does anyone know the furthest area a child has been awarded a place?

Reason Im asking is that I may be moving house into south Manchester/Cheshire and would like to know to plan for younger siblings.

Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Some questions about catchment and AGSB

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

If you attain the pass mark within the catchment area, it is almost certain you will be awarded a place.

Out of area in previous years a mark of 350 plus would have got you a place. My son started at AGSB 10 years ago and got in comfortably on 362. However you will see if you read other thread on the Trafford page that there are boys who have attained scores of 380-390 out of catchment and have not been awarded a place this year, meaning that they have siblings there but have not secured a place.

If you are set on your boys attending the school then you might want to rethink your relocation plans.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not from your area but I would also caution that, if your son has just been awarded a place under "in catchment" rules, and then you suddendly move soon after, the LEA may well look quite closely to see if there has been any hint of address fraud.
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

The pass mark is the same for everyone, but children outside the priority area (OOC) are admitted in order of their score. This year only 14 children have been admitted from outside the "priority area", of whom 9 outside Trafford entirely. The lowest scoring child admitted from OOC got 390. Three Hundred And Ninety. A child with 362 would be no higher than 28th on the waiting list this year (based on the paperwork we've had re appeals).

This is partly because of an expansion to the priority area. The school is trying harder to serve its most local children - which is a totally reasonable aim, though a PITA for those of us a little further away :lol: Bear in mind that children OOC but still in Trafford are in a higher oversubscription criterion than children outside Trafford.

2020 PAN is higher so that may factor into your calculations somewhat, but realistically your son would need to be scoring eye-wateringly high to get in as an OOC candidate in future, and one should expect not to get in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now