Distance from school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trafmum82

Distance from school

Post by Trafmum82 »

Does anyone have any experience of how far the catchment area is for Sale Grammar (I know this is probably like asking how long is apiece of string but thought I’d give it a go!). We are 1.9 miles away (Ashton Village area). I’m presuming that should be ok?!
Trafmum82

Re: Distance from school

Post by Trafmum82 »

Just had a look and it’s 1.5 miles as the crow flies
fta

Post by fta »

AS far as I am aware, Sale Grammar policy is not based on radius (in first instance) - they go with post codes which they have specified in their admission policy. M33 (all) comes in it and so as other post codes. So you need to check first which post code do you fall under? (if you come in M33, then no issues at all)...

When the people are still oversubscribed within the post codes, then distances start making a difference but with 1.9m, I think you should still be fine easily. My opinion.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

The catchment area is M33, WA14, WA15 and Trafford M23. If you come under those postcodes, looks like they offered everyone from the catchment last year.

If you're outside those postcodes, it goes on score, not distance (last year was 380).
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

We are in M33 so fingers crossed we should be ok!
kasin

Post by kasin »

Any idea how the distance from school is calculated. Can I simply go as per google map. My DD cleared the AGGS with 354 marks, but google shows difference distance from 4.5 - 6 miles depending on different routes. How to I get to know the chances of her getting a place.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

kasin wrote:Any idea how the distance from school is calculated. Can I simply go as per google map. My DD cleared the AGGS with 354 marks, but google shows difference distance from 4.5 - 6 miles depending on different routes. How to I get to know the chances of her getting a place.
Its a straight line between the school and your house using property co-ordinates (so "as the crow flies") which is difficult to replicate - but if you put your postcode into this website, and the school's postcode, it will give you a fairly accurate indication - http://www.doogal.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kasin

Post by kasin »

Thanks Mandy21

So it comes out to be 3.6 miles. Shall I think DD has a fair chance of getting a place in AGGS?
mmm1980

Post by mmm1980 »

she has all possible chances. My DD ia a student at AGGS, we are 6 miles away from school.
kasin

Post by kasin »

mmm1980 wrote:she has all possible chances. My DD ia a student at AGGS, we are 6 miles away from school.
Thanks mmm1980. One more query, when you say you are 6 miles, is that the aerial distance like as the crow flies?