Non-M32 Post Code

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moga1980#

Non-M32 Post Code

Post by Moga1980# »

Hi, Can someone advise the below queries?

1. We are moving to Stretford, M32 postcode. I checked the catchment for grammar school in this postcode is only one school available. Can my son take Altrincham Boys school exam 11+? and another grammar school/s. How they offer the place? based on the postcode/Trafford council?

2. I noticed 2019 Stretford grammar school entry, Cat 6 - no places offered ( based on distance). How they will determine Cat 5 (postcode) and Cat 6 (distance).

I measured our house to Stretford grammar school at 1.5m approx. How chances do get grammar school?
ToadMum

Re: Non-M32 Post Code

Post by ToadMum »

Moga1980# wrote:Hi, Can someone advise the below queries?

1. We are moving to Stretford, M32 postcode. I checked the catchment for grammar school in this postcode is only one school available. Can my son take Altrincham Boys school exam 11+? and another grammar school/s. How they offer the place? based on the postcode/Trafford council?

2. I noticed 2019 Stretford grammar school entry, Cat 6 - no places offered ( based on distance). How they will determine Cat 5 (postcode) and Cat 6 (distance).

I measured our house to Stretford grammar school at 1.5m approx. How chances do get grammar school?
Hi :)

Not in your area, but all state schools have to allocate their places according to their published admissions criteria. The policy for entry in a given September must be set by the end of february of the preceding calendar year (so for 2020 entry, the policy had to be set by the end of February 2019 and so on). The policy also has to set out how oversubscription within a category will be resolved, so if a school allocates all its places before reaching the last category, it must detail somewhere within its policy for that year, how the applicants within the previous category are ranked.

Anyone can apply for any school from anywhere, but their chance of obtaining a place depends on how a given school will rank their application. Each school will have its admissions policy on its website, also the LA will publish details of how the admissions system works.

In terms of measuring distance, the school / LA will have an official tool for doing this (this will not be Google Maps. It is normally now a precise system using the unique address point for your home, measured to the unique address point for the school).

If you are moving house specifically to be in the priority area for a school, you should check that your move will take place in time for the school to consider you to be in area at the time of application - this varies from school to school and again, should be detailed in its admissions policy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
poppety

Re: Non-M32 Post Code

Post by poppety »

We live in that area of Trafford. Your son can apply to sit the test for all the grammars. They each have their own admission criteria. In M32 you are a priority postcode for Stretford. Once the people premium and top 20 candidates have been allocated a place the admission is based on distance, firstly within the priority postcode (cat5) and then outside the priority (cat 6). At 1.5 miles you would more than likely get a place. We got one at 1.8.
There is also a chance of a place at Urmston or even Sale at that distance. We are really happy with Streford Grammar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now