Too far

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Taz1981

Too far

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

We were planning for our daughter to sit the entrance exams for Withington High School for Girls and Manchester High School for girls, however due to unforeseen circumstances we simply can not afford the fees. Even half the fees are too much so we have decided to scrap applying for those schools. We currently live in Moss side M147TN and was wondering if it is worth applying for Altrincham grammar school for girls, we are slightly out the catchment area but are the chances slim? I don't really want to put my daughter through a whole summer of practice papers if she has 1% of a chance. Her current school is walking distance from our house and her potential high school too.

Thank you.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Too far

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Can't help with the Grammar School query but just wanted to ask if you had checked the bursary details for the private schools? Bursaries can be up to full fees (and can be combined with a scholarship, which is usually limited to around 10% of fees), so could amount to more than 50% off fees, if you are means tested within their bursary levels. I don't know the area you live but it may be that if it is an area of deprivation, the private schools would encourage applications under widening participation type schemes. ALWAYS worth talking to the bursar of the schools before you rule them out completely - that is what they are there for and they would MUCH rather prospective parents have the chat with them in advance so they can be sure they fully know how much it would cost and the bursar can offer as much support as they possibly can, should you be eligible.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Firstly, have you doubled checked whether you're in catchment? The catchment is defined as an 8 mile radius around the school in a straight line (so as the crow flies) and a very quick check with your postcode looks as though you're at about 7 miles??

The difficulty is that places are then awarded simply on distance (and receipt of pupil premium).

Some years they've offered places well beyond the 8 mile catchment (so your DD would get a place if she passed), other years they've filled their places by the time they've got to 5 or 6 miles (so your DD wouldn't be offered a place). No-one knows in advance how it will work out, it just depends on the girls taking the exam. If you think that she'd do well in the test, it's probably worthwhile her sitting it.
poppety

Post by poppety »

Would you not consider a closer grammar? Stretford is closest to you and a lovely school with great results (I have a child there). Definitely more chance of a place there and travel would be fairly straightforward.
Panicker

Post by Panicker »

And Urmston Grammar took pupils up to 7.5 miles away last year, so there are a few options. As it is all one exam it is probably worth doing?
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

As Poppety says, its worth considering the other grammars, particularly if another one is closer to you. The grammar schools all share one entrance exam (Altrincham, Sale, Urmston, Stretford) so your daughter only has to sit one exam.
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

Are you definitely outside the catchment? The 8-mile radius is measured in a straight line from the school gates to your address, rather than by road distance, and it doesn't make a difference if you are in Trafford or Manchester LEA, if you fall within that 8-mile radius, you're in the catchment.

There are girls in my daughter's class at Altrincham Grammar from Moss Side. I think there's a school bus that runs along Wilbraham Road to Alty Girls that the girls catch (not 100% sure about this though).

We're more than 6 miles out too - I reckon prob not much nearer (if any) than you.The school has made offers quite a way outside catchment in the last few years too.

As others have said, it's worth taking the entrance exam for the Trafford grammars in the consortium, as that one exam offers potential entry to Stretford, Sale, Urmston and Altrincham grammar schools.
Pondering19

Post by Pondering19 »

You should be within the 8 mile catchment.
You have as good a chance as any...if she has the ability. She just needs to pass the exam, same as all the others.
Are you using a tutor etc / confident you can help her pass without a tutor?
( I wouldn’t be myself).
What does her current school say re her ability?
They are the most relevant things...
and is the long journey ok for her?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now