A really basic question about catchment areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Parent123456789

A really basic question about catchment areas

Post by Parent123456789 »

I attended a grammar school a good few years ago and I think there was some sort of catchment area but there were also kids coming from miles away.

I'm a little confused by catchment areas, therefore, and how they interplay with 11+ exam results. We live in North Manchester, near Prestwich, so are certainly not in catchment for any of Stretford, Urmston, Sale or Altrincham.

Our kids are just starting primary school now, so it's not like secondary schools are an immediate issue, but if we need to move for them to have a shot at the grammar schools, that's something that would need multi year financial planning for us.

Apologies for asking something that I should probably be able to understand by looking at the admission policies but, is it feasible to stay living in North Manchester and send the kids to South Manchester grammar schools if they hit the 11+ standard?
hermanmunster

Re: A really basic question about catchment areas

Post by hermanmunster »

HI and welcome to the forum!

basically grammar schools around the country fall into one of several categories: (there are some more complex iterations of this but for now I'll stick to the 3 here)

1) admission by score only - ie they take the top scorers even if they live 100 miles away - often referred to as superselective

2) admission by reaching a certain standard and then places offered on distance

3) admission by reaching a certain standard AND living in catchment - if out of catchment places may be offered based on score (or sometimes distance)

Looking at Urmston - in a simple form it gives 20 places to the top scorers (as per 1 above) then places awarded to children in a specific catchment and then outside catchment based on distance (as per 3 above)

The thing I can't tell you is if living where you are, you have any chance at any of these schools based on distance - you would have to get that info from the school and what is valid now may change over the years
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Admission policy is different at each school.
When I last looked a few years ago,
Alty girls required a 334 11+ score and then it went to distance from the school
Alty boys in takes from Sale & Altrincham with 334 11+ scores first, then it goes to highest score
Stretford has a top score system where a the top scores are offered places. Might be 20 kids. But outside of this, you're probably too far away.
I don't think you can get in to Sale from North Man, but could be wrong
Urmston, I can't remember
Parent123456789

Thanks so much for clearing this up. That makes sense. The top 20 sounds like a long shot so sounds like distance based (to Stretford) is our best hope if we were not to move.

The only (sort of) good news is that fertility rates have been dropping so any max distance now is probably an okay starting point for expectations in 7 years unless there is a big influx of families somewhere closeish to Stretford (possible tbf - I can imagine Stretford itself being a bit up and coming for families).

I hope the schools don't think I'm mad for contacting them about a 4 year old but I'll ask if they can share figures about their current max distances.

Thanks again!
Parent123456789

KaB£H1s3 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:03 pm I don't think you can get in to Sale from North Man, but could be wrong
Urmston, I can't remember
That sounds quite likely. We're not as far out as Prestwich but it's a good distance. Closest is Stretford - around 4.5 miles as the crow flies. Appreciate the extra detail, thanks!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just be aware that admissions policies can and do change over time - the policy for admission in the 2024 / 2025 academic year, for example, must have been published in early March 2023. If the school wanted to make changes to the policy, it would have had to go to public consultation for a six week period at some point starting from October 1st of that academic year, so

Autumn / Winter academic year x / y, consultation (if required (start checking school and local authority website October 1st)

March year y, publication of policy, for entry September of academic year y / z.

From that, you can work out when, for your DC, the admissions policy wiil be published for the year they are due to start secondary school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Parent123456789

ToadMum wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:34 pm Just be aware that admissions policies can and do change
... you can work out when, for your DC, the admissions policy will be published for the year they are due to start secondary school.
Got you. I guess waiting for around 18 months before start date could be too late for us to move in practice accounting for housing chains etc. At least too close for comfort.

Our eldest would be starting secondary school in September 2031. As you rightly say, things could change with the policies, especially over such a long time period, but I suppose we'd take an educated guess and - if needed - plan to move into the catchment area by around September 2029
starfish80

Post by starfish80 »

In short, I you need to move to get into any of the Trafford grammars around here. I think there was a funny year a couple of years back where the outcomes showed Urmston accepting all applications but that really was a one off. Unless you are going for a top 20 place which I wouldn't bank on given some of the high scores quoted here!

I've been tracking outcomes for the past few years and you either need to be in catchment (priority postcode) or very close if outside of that. Remember Stretford includes Chorlton in their priority postcodes, but not Didsbury where there are tons of parents much closer than you trying to get their kids in.

Although the birth rate is dropping, Trafford grammars are targeted by parents both nationally and internationally (lots of people from Hong Kong are specifically moving into Trafford area), so I don't see competition for places waning anytime soon.

I would also prompt you to think if the grammars are really worth the move and what the alternatives are if your child weren't to pass. Due to the selective system, there are no comprehensives here, just 'secondary modern' type high schools missing a proper top set.

It is easy to think when your child is 3-4 that they are bright and will pass the 11+ with a bit of work. Now we are in the middle of Year 5 prep, I have a bright child who still may or may not pass. I can't say I'm thrilled about the alternatives and we won't take on the cost of private secondary. You definitely need to think hard about what you may want for your child down the line. I have friends who have actually moved out of Trafford at junior school age to get better non selective schools e.g. Lymm, Cheadle Hulme, Knutsford as they don't want the stress of a year (or two) worth of prep to pass an exam on a single day.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agree with @starfish80 - looking at the non selective option is crucial, you can make matters worse by moving into a GS area