Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:05 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have a query regarding the AGSB marking and would be grateful if you could advise.

The school's link for the exam https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96006/parent-information-evening-2020-2.pdf https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96006/pare ... 2020-2.pdf

states on page 19 that 'The assessments are equally weighted and together have a maximum achievable score of
423' .The next slide shows that NVR has 40 questions, Verbal reasoning 80 questions and Maths 50 questions.

1.Does the above mean that the students have to obtain a minimum proportion of marks across the three areas to achieve a qualifying score ie 334 ?

I would be grateful for your advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:14 pm 

It's a while since my son did the exam but no, I don't think there's a minimum score for each section. He will get a score out of 141 for each of the 3 sections - as long as the total is 334 or above, that's a pass. In theory he could get full marks on 2 sections/papers (so 141 + 141 so 282) then only 52/141 on the 3rd section/paper and still pass. That's unlikely but you get my point!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am 

Mandy21 wrote:
It's a while since my son did the exam but no, I don't think there's a minimum score for each section. He will get a score out of 141 for each of the 3 sections - as long as the total is 334 or above, that's a pass. In theory he could get full marks on 2 sections/papers (so 141 + 141 so 282) then only 52/141 on the 3rd section/paper and still pass. That's unlikely but you get my point!

Thank you for the information Mandy , it is appreciated.

Does the equal weighting mean, in theory, that the focus is not on verbal reasoning/vocabulary , but focus needs to be spread out equally on all aspects?

CEM prep seemed easier as I was advised the focus needed to be on a good vocabulary/emphasising regular reading/solid knowledge of times tables & number bonds and focussing on timing during the practice papers.
etc.Would a similar approach be fine with GL or does GL require a different approach?

If you could share your views , when possible, that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 pm 

I think it depends on your son as to where your focus should be and which school is your first choice - GL seems to cater for more of a maths / coding / sequencing / NVR focus, with definitely less focus on English / vocabulary (in my view). I think for CEM you definitely need all aspects but the vocab / comprehension is a key part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:34 am 

Mandy21 wrote:
I think it depends on your son as to where your focus should be and which school is your first choice - GL seems to cater for more of a maths / coding / sequencing / NVR focus, with definitely less focus on English / vocabulary (in my view). I think for CEM you definitely need all aspects but the vocab / comprehension is a key part.

Thank you for your suggestions Mandy.
Alty boys would be our first choice, so will start focussing on the areas you have suggested.