Altrincham Boys score /weighting query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trafford19

Altrincham Boys score /weighting query

Post by Trafford19 »

Hi everyone,

I have a query regarding the AGSB marking and would be grateful if you could advise.

The school's link for the exam https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96006/pare ... 2020-2.pdf https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96006/pare ... 2020-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

states on page 19 that 'The assessments are equally weighted and together have a maximum achievable score of
423' .The next slide shows that NVR has 40 questions, Verbal reasoning 80 questions and Maths 50 questions.

1.Does the above mean that the students have to obtain a minimum proportion of marks across the three areas to achieve a qualifying score ie 334 ?

I would be grateful for your advice.
Mandy21

Re: Altrincham Boys score /weighting query

Post by Mandy21 »

It's a while since my son did the exam but no, I don't think there's a minimum score for each section. He will get a score out of 141 for each of the 3 sections - as long as the total is 334 or above, that's a pass. In theory he could get full marks on 2 sections/papers (so 141 + 141 so 282) then only 52/141 on the 3rd section/paper and still pass. That's unlikely but you get my point!
Trafford19

Post by Trafford19 »

Mandy21 wrote:It's a while since my son did the exam but no, I don't think there's a minimum score for each section. He will get a score out of 141 for each of the 3 sections - as long as the total is 334 or above, that's a pass. In theory he could get full marks on 2 sections/papers (so 141 + 141 so 282) then only 52/141 on the 3rd section/paper and still pass. That's unlikely but you get my point!
Thank you for the information Mandy , it is appreciated.

Does the equal weighting mean, in theory, that the focus is not on verbal reasoning/vocabulary , but focus needs to be spread out equally on all aspects?

CEM prep seemed easier as I was advised the focus needed to be on a good vocabulary/emphasising regular reading/solid knowledge of times tables & number bonds and focussing on timing during the practice papers.
etc.Would a similar approach be fine with GL or does GL require a different approach?

If you could share your views , when possible, that would be great.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I think it depends on your son as to where your focus should be and which school is your first choice - GL seems to cater for more of a maths / coding / sequencing / NVR focus, with definitely less focus on English / vocabulary (in my view). I think for CEM you definitely need all aspects but the vocab / comprehension is a key part.
Trafford19

Post by Trafford19 »

Mandy21 wrote:I think it depends on your son as to where your focus should be and which school is your first choice - GL seems to cater for more of a maths / coding / sequencing / NVR focus, with definitely less focus on English / vocabulary (in my view). I think for CEM you definitely need all aspects but the vocab / comprehension is a key part.
Thank you for your suggestions Mandy.
Alty boys would be our first choice, so will start focussing on the areas you have suggested.
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

Hi,
Does anyone know how much score is needed to get into ALTRINCHAM BOYS FROM MANCHESTER?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Nobody will know what score is necessary this year but previous years may give an indication.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1544071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. What is the lowest out of catchment area score accepted for the 2019 yr 7 entrance exam for Sept 2020 entry ?( 361)

2. How many pupils from out of area have been accepted for Yr 7 entry for Sept 2020 ? (38)
Other admission stats here
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1543440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For year 7 2020 entry can you please advise the 1. Number of offers made (215) and 2. Highest and lowest scores ( 423-334)

for each category of 7.1-7.5 over subscription criteria Group 1 - 0 Group 2 - 3 Group 3 - 1 Group 4 - 177 Group 5- 38
The above could include out of catchment so the figure of 38 would include many Trafford out of catchment admissions.

The only other information I have seen was a school adjudication document for the year prior to the above which gave specific figures for non Trafford applicants as only 9 boys admitted. They could have been in catchment?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t_2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hello, Regarding out of catchment offers, my son is currently in yr 12 at AGSB. Over the years the intake number has varied i think mainly due to how many boys they are logistically able to accommodate. This year the new building is almost ready for completion which will help with the number of boys. I guess the year before last was such a small cohort due to lack of accommodation. My son’s year has a high number of boys over 200 , i guess that the class of start Sep 2022 will have a large intake due to the fact my sons year will have left which was a large year in terms of number of boys.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

According to the school website the PAN for 2021 & 2022 is 202.
scary mum
EmmaF

Post by EmmaF »

mitasol wrote:Highest and lowest scores ( 423-334)
this is really surprising... 423! They actually have a 423 boy!

I thought 423 was almost impossible unless from Mensa.