Has anyone had their Loreto results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mbrenno84

Re: Has anyone had their Loreto results?

Post by Mbrenno84 »

332 mark from Loreto.
Pass was 330.
Category 7 - non catholic.
1.2 miles as crow flies.
1st choice pref on CAF now.

Is it going to happen?! Will she get an allocation?
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Very little chance. Mark and distance from school is (mainly) immaterial. They've not offered to Category 7 for years.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

Mandy21 wrote:Very little chance. Mark and distance from school is (mainly) immaterial. They've not offered to Category 7 for years.
I understand. Some schools hold places for non-Catholic (cat 7) but it doesn’t look like this is going to happen for Loreto.

I thought you had to?!
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

There’s almost no chance, I’m afraid. They don’t have to hold places for non-catholics. It’s a faith school, and that is their criteria for entrance. Category 7 exists for the very unlikely eventuality that there are still places left after all faith / baptised girls have taken their places. I don’t know when a cat 7 girl last got a place. They usually fill places by category 4 (baptised catholic girls) & very often some children in cat 4 - who have passed the exam - don’t get a place because all the places are filled.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

PercyMum wrote:There’s almost no chance, I’m afraid. They don’t have to hold places for non-catholics. It’s a faith school, and that is their criteria for entrance. Category 7 exists for the very unlikely eventuality that there are still places left after all faith / baptised girls have taken their places. I don’t know when a cat 7 girl last got a place. They usually fill places by category 4 (baptised catholic girls) & very often some children in cat 4 - who have passed the exam - don’t get a place because all the places are filled.
Cheers guys. With 338 in the Stretford, no to AGGS and Sale, and a Local Review in for Urmston at 330, I'm just trying to figure out if a grammar school option other than Stretford exists.
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

Would you be unhappy with Stretford? It's a fabulous school, with happy pupils, and happiness at school is one of the predictors of success.

It sounds like you really want the best for your daughter. Maybe that won't be a grammar school in her case? The two she's passed - Stretford and Loreto - are two that take the broadest range of abilities - they are traditionally easier to pass than some of the others. This is in no way a judgement (one of my children is a Loreto girl) as they are fab schools that get brill results, but if your child is passing at the lower range of the passmark for those schools, it would give you some indication of where she'd likely to be in the cohort.

Grammar schools are not the be-all and end-all. They're great if you're doing well, but they're competitive environments, and can be hellish if you're struggling against the faster pace and higher grades of your classmates. Even the process by which you enter a grammar - the 11+ - is brutal and cut-throat. And that's just to get through the doors! If it ends up not being a grammar for your daughter, you might be very very pleased a couple of years down the line, when she's likely to be in top sets and feeling confident and happy. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure you'll get the right school for her.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

PercyMum wrote:Would you be unhappy with Stretford? It's a fabulous school, with happy pupils, and happiness at school is one of the predictors of success.

It sounds like you really want the best for your daughter. Maybe that won't be a grammar school in her case? The two she's passed - Stretford and Loreto - are two that take the broadest range of abilities - they are traditionally easier to pass than some of the others. This is in no way a judgement (one of my children is a Loreto girl) as they are fab schools that get brill results, but if your child is passing at the lower range of the passmark for those schools, it would give you some indication of where she'd likely to be in the cohort.

Grammar schools are not the be-all and end-all. They're great if you're doing well, but they're competitive environments, and can be hellish if you're struggling against the faster pace and higher grades of your classmates. Even the process by which you enter a grammar - the 11+ - is brutal and cut-throat. And that's just to get through the doors! If it ends up not being a grammar for your daughter, you might be very very pleased a couple of years down the line, when she's likely to be in top sets and feeling confident and happy. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure you'll get the right school for her.
Hi @percysmum. thanks for your responses, and for being so helpful. i think like you, we are both quite active here. and with that you can tell that I do indeed want the best for her, and that might mean that it's not a grammar school. that's fine, i don't need the name. i'd be absolutely fine with stretford but the reason i am asking about sale, loreto and aggs is because my postcode is wa14 and i think we might fall out of their catchment. that coupled with the fact that my kid was so close at 330 (i think that's close - do you?) for sale and urmston, hence the local review for urmston and a possibility to ask for appeal.

I've got another child three years down the line, so i'm just trying to make the right decisions now.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

PercyMum wrote:Would you be unhappy with Stretford? It's a fabulous school, with happy pupils, and happiness at school is one of the predictors of success.

Our closest LA is Wellington - I've heard some positive things.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Wellington has a very good reputation. Again (its a common theme!) the allocation is really tight - it went out to literally 1 mile this year (for Sept's entry), friend was just over that, 1.1m I think and she didn't get a place for her son.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

Mandy21 wrote:Wellington has a very good reputation. Again (its a common theme!) the allocation is really tight - it went out to literally 1 mile this year (for Sept's entry), friend was just over that, 1.1m I think and she didn't get a place for her son.
Bah! I’m 1.2 miles.

There are closed doors everywhere I’m turning at the moment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now