Anyone had their CEM results through?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mbrenno84

Re: Anyone had their CEM results through?

Post by Mbrenno84 »

mitasol wrote:My bad! :D
All good! Thanks for the info.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

mitasol wrote:
They have no meaning without knowing what they are out of!
I think that is where you are going wrong. A standardised score is an estimate of your position in the test candidates.It does not tell you how many questions you answered correctly. It tells you how you performed when compared with the other candidates.

A score of 100 means that your child got the average score (whatever percentage raw score that was) and ranks in the middle of the cohort of children. A score of 130 would mean you scored higher than 98% of the cohort. Standardised scores are based on a range where the maximum and minimum is artificially capped as they become less accurate on the extremes.

CEM have been known to go to 160+ ( I’ve dredged that from my memory so I’m willing to be corrected.) GL tends to cap at 140 or 141.

http://www.cem.org/blog/standardised-scores-101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does CEM have 2 or 3 papers?

I thought there was 2 45 minute (ish) papers for CEM but kids can't get say 340 or 360 if there's 2 papers and the maximum mark is 160.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

That would be for each paper.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

https://0e58658be539ee7325a0-220f04f871 ... 1600255119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Sale grammar website, it says there's only 2 papers

Edit: i don't know why the link looks like that. I went the page linked below and clicked frequently asked questions
https://www.salegrammar.co.uk/159/school-admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Sorry- I don’t remember seeing anything about the Trafford process. Some other areas give additional weighting (for example prioritising one exam over another).once they have the standardised score they can weight it to suit. You could try asking.

Edit to add - this was suggested here but no answer, unfortunately.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=58915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

Really interested to know if any places will be offered to girls outside the catchment area this year. If that is the case then I’d assume people who like at the edge of the catchment area surely will be offered a place. Would AGGS release that information ?
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

Taz1981 wrote:Really interested to know if any places will be offered to girls outside the catchment area this year. If that is the case then I’d assume people who like at the edge of the catchment area surely will be offered a place. Would AGGS release that information ?
The question you're asking Taz1981 is really valid, and one that many parents are asking for different schools to get an idea of whether their child will get a place. I'm doing it for Stretford. The answer is that we won't know for sure until 1st March. If you want an idea, just an idea, have a look at info from previous years and consider if there are any other factors to take into account. See how it compares to your distance and whether you fall in catchment or not.

Here is what AGGS have published. I hope it helps.

How many students living in the catchment area were made an offer of a place at AGGS for September 2020?
220 students in catchment area who were made an offer

How many students living out of the catchment area were made an offer of a place at AGGS for September 2020?
0 students out of catchment area who were made an offer

To what mileage have you made offers for the last four years?
2016 entry – 11.77 miles

2017 entry – 6.025 miles

2018 entry – 11.18 miles

2019 entry – 8.478 miles

2020 entry – 6.788
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

It's definitely a guessing game. There is a bit of info though, on the number of girls this year who passed - in catchment - and put AGGS on the CAF. There are 309 girls in that category, which far outnumbers places available.

But that number doesn't reveal how many have put the school as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice etc, and have put another school as a first choice, or who have put AGGS as a back-up for an independent school place, so its still anyone's guess whether they'll offer out of catchment this time.

Here's the info: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1689644" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now