St ambrose results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

payel123

St ambrose results

Post by payel123 »

Hiya

received the ambrose results today.DS has passed & scored 358 out of 410.i am curious to understand the scoring.the break up of his scores maths-124:English 122 and VR-112.
I am guessing these are standardised scores?
DS’s strong points are maths and VR hence I am baffled that he got the lowest in VR.is it because VR paper had a lower total /weightage?if 410 is the total each couldn’t be 150 so could it be that maths and English were out of 140/150 each and VR 110/120.Just trying to figure out .Can anyone throw any light ?

TIA
mitasol

Re: St ambrose results

Post by mitasol »

I’m not an expert in Trafford but it seems most likely that The VR is out of 140/141 which is standard for GL. The others appear to be set and standardised in house.

In terms of your question about a lower VR score you have to keep in mind that a standardised score is not simply a reflection of how well your child did in the test. It is effectively a ranking of how well he did when compared with the rest of the cohort.

Hopefully someone with local knowledge can provide a more definitive answer.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

They almost certainly are standardised scores and as such, are not out of anything.

The GL website has a good explanation of standardisation, iirc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
payel123

Post by payel123 »

mitasol wrote:I’m not an expert in Trafford but it seems most likely that The VR is out of 140/141 which is standard for GL. The others appear to be set and standardised in house.

In terms of your question about a lower VR score you have to keep in mind that a standardised score is not simply a reflection of how well your child did in the test. It is effectively a ranking of how well he did when compared with the rest of the cohort.

Hopefully someone with local knowledge can provide a more definitive answer.

Thanks for your inputs mitasol.I think I understand the scenario better now after doing a bit of reasearch on standardisation.cheers
payel123

Post by payel123 »

ToadMum wrote:They almost certainly are standardised scores and as such, are not out of anything.

Thank you ever so much ToadMum.I realised after reading your post that the scores are not out of anything and also visited the GL website as advised by you and have a much clearer picture of the scoring pattern.Thanks a lot
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

payel123 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:They almost certainly are standardised scores and as such, are not out of anything.

Thank you ever so much ToadMum.I realised after reading your post that the scores are not out of anything and also visited the GL website as advised by you and have a much clearer picture of the scoring pattern.Thanks a lot
:)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now