Alty Girls worried.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Alty Girls worried.

Post by ToadMum »

I would ask, how small is 'smaller'? The one and only private school locally we had a proper look at here for one of ours had an average class size of about 12 (and yes, it did go bust two years later) and both DD and I immediately thought, Fall out with the wrong person in the group and there is literally nowhere to hide :shock: . Smaller isn't always better. However, if it's a question of e.g. 20/24 vs 30/32, then although the difference in class size isn't likely to make much difference academically, the proximity to home vs ?an hour and a half each way to the grammar school would nudge me towards Withington. 
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I don't think there's any chance of Withington going bust, and I don't think class sizes are so small that it makes friendship groups hard. It's a brilliant school and if its a 15 min walk, you can afford it with the bursary, I wouldn't hesitate.
Homebird

Post by Homebird »

I am an ex Withington girl (I went on a bursary) and had I been able to get a bursary for my girls and lived 15 mins walk away from the school, I would have bitten their hand off! No brainer - go for it!
Having said that, we live half way between Stretford and Urmston and have a daughter at each of these Grammar schools and are very happy to have had this amazing state education for our daughters. We chose a different grammar school for each of our two because the two schools offered different things that met our girls' needs more closely. So go for where you think will suit your daughter best! Good Luck!
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. We decided to go for Alty in the end. Withington was such a great option but even with a bursary we were being stretched as the fees were the same price as our mortgage and it was also dependant on a yearly finical review by an independent body. It could have easily been reduced next year if our financial situation changed which we expect to a little but that would mean, we wouldn’t have any money to put away for a rainy day such as a boiler breakdown down or any other big purchases that do sometimes occur as we all know. We were absolutely gutted to turn it down however in the grand scheme of things it does allow us that option to save if we can without feeling guilty about it. Alty seems lovely we drove there today and hoping we’ve made the right choice.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Taz1981 I am sure it will all work out fine and she will have a lovely time-

it is really not worth having to worry about the funds for private schools, 7 years is a long time and there are other things to save for - I spent more than school fees in supporting my DCs when they were both at Uni ! Some schools can give generous bursaries but I think people still find the finances get quite tight
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

hermanmunster wrote:Taz1981 I am sure it will all work out fine and she will have a lovely time-

it is really not worth having to worry about the funds for private schools, 7 years is a long time and there are other things to save for - I spent more than school fees in supporting my DCs when they were both at Uni ! Some schools can give generous bursaries but I think people still find the finances get quite tight
Exactly and then we have thoughts like, what happens if we get a pay rise, would the bursary reduce? What happens if something happens to our car and we have no savings etc etc. And if they review your yearly finances and see if you have managed to save, would they then decrease the bursary. So many factors and your right hopefully it will all work out. The yellow school bus is just a short walk from our house and she can have that 40 mins on the bus to read or listen to music or hopefully even make friends.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Taz1981 wrote: So many factors and your right hopefully it will all work out. The yellow school bus is just a short walk from our house and she can have that 40 mins on the bus to read or listen to music or hopefully even make friends.
I'm sure it will work out Taz1981 and that she will make friends. Glad you have made a decision, now you and she can just sit back and look forward to it :)
mad?
kasin

Post by kasin »

Random question..I assume its something like they have different sets in high schools to cater to children of different ability. Is that same with Alty Girls too, do they have girls classified into sets or its all mixed and everyone taught similarly.