Alty Girls worried.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Taz1981

Alty Girls worried.

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

So just before results day and I’ve spoken to a few parents who have told me how intense Alty is with the girls and how much pressure the girls feel. My daughter spoke with a group of girls who have said the didn’t enjoy any of it. One girl said she received 7As but with the one B the teacher said ‘what happened there then?’ I’m just wondering from any other parents on how stressful is it for girls and how much support they get? I don’t want her to spend the next 5 years having a life based around just A*s there needs to be a balance as we all know there is more to life later down the line.
PercyMum

Re: Alty Girls worried.

Post by PercyMum »

Why are you still even considering Alty girls for your child if you believe this to be true?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

PercyMum wrote:Why are you still even considering Alty girls for your child if you believe this to be true?
To be fair to Taz1981 their selection will have been made back in October. A lot of information and rumours can come out between CAF submission and offer day.

Different school, different region but this happened to us as there were issues with the head and lots of sniping from parents whose children hadn’t got into the school. We are glad we didn’t derail our choice as the basis our choice was that it seemed a good fit at the time of submission and so it has proved to be with DD thriving.

Taz1981 do think why you chose the school and if you feel it isn’t the right fit any longer your DD can go on a wait list for other schools. It is not uncommon to have wobbles at this point. Good luck.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Taz1981 wrote:Hi All,

So just before results day and I’ve spoken to a few parents who have told me how intense Alty is with the girls and how much pressure the girls feel. My daughter spoke with a group of girls who have said the didn’t enjoy any of it. One girl said she received 7As but with the one B the teacher said ‘what happened there then?’ I’m just wondering from any other parents on how stressful is it for girls and how much support they get? I don’t want her to spend the next 5 years having a life based around just A*s there needs to be a balance as we all know there is more to life later down the line.
You've got to trust who told you what and why iyswim.

1. Let's assume it's all true. Do you have a better option?

2. Let's assume it's all BS. Do you have a better option?
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

Thank you all. I think it is just nerves, if she does get a place at Alty then I’m sending her in and I’m sure she will be fine. If not hopefully Stretford. Thank you all.
poppety

Post by poppety »

I have a couple of friends and also a family member with daughters at AGGS. They all say it is quite a pressured learning environment and to a certain extent socially quite competitive (ie there are quite a lot of girls there from socially privileged backgrounds). We liked the school when we visited however we felt that it made more sense to choose a school closer to where we live and one which we felt would be a better social fit so our top choices were Urmston and Stretford. Our daughter it now Yr 8 at Stretford and is very happy. Lots of local friends and a good mix of students. She is still pushed academically but there is a big focus on student well-being and there is a really sense of community within the school. To be honest we probably wouldn't have got a place at AGGS anyway due to distance but I think we made the right choice in going for our local school.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

Taz, as I read your post it looks like you are probably experiencing what so many of us are - anxiety with 7 days to go before allocations. It's hard. My advice if you'd like it, is to wait for another 7 days and actually see what factually comes through. You might not even need to worry about AGGS because you might not get allocated, or you might have something else to contemplate.

If you can, sit tight.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mbrenno84 wrote:

Taz, as I read your post it looks like you are probably experiencing what so many of us are - anxiety with 7 days to go before allocations. It's hard. My advice if you'd like it, is to wait for another 7 days and actually see what factually comes through. You might not even need to worry about AGGS because you might not get allocated, or you might have something else to contemplate.

If you can, sit tight.
I agree - there are lots of anxieties just before days like this, ( same happens before the A level results / UCAS day ) people unsure about what they have applied for etc etc . What usually happens is that they get the results / offer on the day and all fears go and they are delighted. It is not easy times in which to be doing this anyway, trying to carry on normal life when it isn't.
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

My daughter has been offered a place at Alty and we are over the moon, she has also been offered a place at Withington which is a 15 min walk from our house. Withington have offered us a bursary and the communication with them has been excellent, what an absolute wonderful team they have over there. The class sizes are smaller than Alty and we can just about afford the fees and obviously want the bet for our daughter. How much of an impact would you feel class sizes have and I understand they both produce very similar results year on year, however do you feel the child's experience would be better being a private school compared to a large state grammar. Also she would have to leave home at 7am and be home at 5pm compared to leaving home at 8:30 am and being home at 4pm with Withington. I am thinking long term and energy levels as my DD has never travelled that long on a bus before.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Taz1981 wrote:My daughter has been offered a place at Alty and we are over the moon, she has also been offered a place at Withington which is a 15 min walk from our house. Withington have offered us a bursary and the communication with them has been excellent, what an absolute wonderful team they have over there. The class sizes are smaller than Alty and we can just about afford the fees and obviously want the bet for our daughter. How much of an impact would you feel class sizes have and I understand they both produce very similar results year on year, however do you feel the child's experience would be better being a private school compared to a large state grammar. Also she would have to leave home at 7am and be home at 5pm compared to leaving home at 8:30 am and being home at 4pm with Withington. I am thinking long term and energy levels as my DD has never travelled that long on a bus before.
I have been in a similar situation (different schools). Personally (and from memory the data backs this up for selective schools) I think class sizes make little difference. On the other hand 7-5 before you even factor in extra curricular activities is a long day. If your DD wants to do pre or after school sports/clubs etc then that day is going to be even longer. For me, that would be a deal breaker irrespective of private/state or selective status. We chose the nearer and more easily accessible school and have no regrets for having done so. It is not just the length of day - where will their friends live? Will you be having to drive them around for the next 7 years? And worse, do you think they will want you to? :wink: Good luck with your decision.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now