Best publisher for 11+ Trafford CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

starfish80

Best publisher for 11+ Trafford CEM

Post by starfish80 »

Can anyone advise the best publisher to use for DIY resources for the Trafford exam? I am planning on using a tutor in year 5, but want to look at some lighter DIY prep in year 3/4.

Am I right CGP is better than Bond as it works up to a harder standard?
KaB£H1s3

Re: Best publisher for 11+ Trafford CEM

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

starfish80 wrote:Can anyone advise the best publisher to use for DIY resources for the Trafford exam? I am planning on using a tutor in year 5, but want to look at some lighter DIY prep in year 3/4.

Am I right CGP is better than Bond as it works up to a harder standard?
CGP CEM is probably a good starting point. CGP is good because it explains the answers.
I don't think Bond CEM is available for year 3 age.
starfish80

Post by starfish80 »

Thanks for your advice. Bond do some 11+ books for 7-8 age but just 10 min tests/assessments. I think I'll take a look at the CGP practice books.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

starfish80 wrote:Thanks for your advice. Bond do some 11+ books for 7-8 age but just 10 min tests/assessments. I think I'll take a look at the CGP practice books.
The normal Bond books (not CEM specific ones) are not fully relevant to the CEM. The English is very different and the VR has lots of stuff that is only useful for GL papers. I can't remember the maths. The NVR is OK for CEM.

Edit: I'm not sure what papers they have at the faith schools. If they have GL? Then the Bond VR won't be a waste. But otherwise, things like letter codes and number sequences aren't any value.
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

CEM is the best for the trafford cem exam. Good to mix it up with a mix of publishers towards the end so they can get used to responding to a different style if it gets thrown at them at the exam, but I'd do cem mainly for prep.
We also did Withington high school for girls maths papers for prep. They don't have answers though, I used to do the papers alongside them and at first they were slow and gotthings wrong but once they became as fast as me and as accurate I knew they were ready!
Te82

Post by Te82 »

I would recommend, in addition to any books, buy the vocab flash cards. Letts, Bond and CGP all do a CEM version. We felt that vocab was our son’s strength but when he came out he said it was the most difficult part. It’s easy to do 5-10 cards anywhere without many complaints or without him realising he’s revising :lol:
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

Te82 wrote:We felt that vocab was our son’s strength but when he came out he said it was the most difficult part.
That's interesting. when my son did the cem in 2019 he said that the vocab was far easier than what I had gone through with him, and we did the flash cards too. My DD also sat it in 2020 and said that only one word "synopsis" she didn't know (which I thought she'd have known without us learning it). She didn't like the vocabulary cards like my son did and we did Quizlet instead, which in hindsight was easier to practise with than flashcards.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now