Time warnings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Trafford32

Time warnings

Post by Trafford32 »

Does any one know the time warnings given in the CEM exam at AGGS?

Is it played on a tape? In the mocks we have done sometimes there is a 5 minute warning. But nothing to say 1 minute to go.

I think watches are not allowed. And we are trying to avoid blanks, so a warning to say 1 min or 30 seconds to go would be helpful.
KaB£H1s3

Re: Time warnings

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

We've not done a mock.
I was too busy booking weekends with friends and family as the covid restrictions lifted and didn't think enough about booking mocks.
Watches or any form of electronic device are not allowed in the real test. Pencil, sharpener & rubber only.
Based on your experience of mocks, there's probably no time warning in the real test. I would expect the local mocks to be based on past experience of kids who sat the tests.
mayday

Post by mayday »

Hot off the press, there were time warnings today, a range of times including one minute to go.
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

?
Last edited by Trafford32 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

It gives a bit of an advantage to the kids sitting the second date to know about the time warnings.
None of us knew there would be time warnings when we were prepping our kids.

I don't know if I'm overworrying myself, but suspect some people have faked illness so they can get the lowdown on the test.

One of my friends came round yesterday with his DS. The boy can recall a huge amount of the paper and the answers. He's not the brightest kid in the school, there will be lots of kids who can recall even more. The kids are discussing the paper at school and checking their answers against each other.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

More fool them.

They are giving others the ability to do better than them.

I am amazed their parents have not explained that to them. DG
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

I'm amazed that the integrity of the second test relies on children not talking to other children. Or worse; children telling their tutor who has had years of experience in extracting every drop of useful information from children.
Last edited by KaB£H1s3 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainysunshine001

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:It gives a bit of an advantage to the kids sitting the second date to know about the time warnings.
None of us knew there would be time warnings when we were prepping our kids.

I don't know if I'm overworrying myself, but suspect some people have faked illness so they can get the lowdown on the test.

One of my friends came round yesterday with his DS. The boy can recall a huge amount of the paper and the answers. He's not the brightest kid in the school, there will be lots of kids who can recall even more. The kids are discussing the paper at school and checking their answers against each other.
couldn’t agree more with what you just said.
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

Presumably time warning isn’t new this year. I also assume it’s not a secret

Those in the know would have known. I bet a lot of parents knew in advance that there would be time warnings for this exam. The internet levels the playing field a little.

But personally I think it was better prepping DD for no time warnings and then being pleasantly surprised on the day.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Trafford32 wrote:Presumably time warning isn’t new this year. I also assume it’s not a secret

Those in the know would have known. I bet a lot of parents knew in advance that there would be time warnings for this exam. The internet levels the playing field a little.

But personally I think it was better prepping DD for no time warnings and then being pleasantly surprised on the day.
I do agree with you. Most of my information came from other parents waiting outside our tutors property.

I've been spooked by a 10 year old boy. I was wondering if he could draw the entire test paper like the girl by the window in Evil Dead 1 :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now