60% on CGP papers is it enough?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KaB£H1s3

60% on CGP papers is it enough?

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

DS is only getting 60% on CGP papers.
Everyone I speak to says their kids are getting 80% minimum.
I've told DS the other scores I've got from parents and he laughs and says they're trying to cause panic.
If that's true, it is working because I'm starting to panic.

We did a mock at the weekend and the results ranked DS in the 60th percentile. I know 60th percentile is not good enough for the real test, but I felt the mock included many questions applicable to GL and faith school exams. It wasn't very CEM specific, or not like the CEM books we have.

Our tutor is doing her own mocks (less than 10 kids) and she says my DS is doing fine. I've been listening to her all year but just in these last two weeks, I'm worried we didn't work enough.

Does 60% on CGP papers seem like a good enough score to reach 334 for the CEM Consortium?
Daogroupie

Re: 60% on CGP papers is it enough?

Post by Daogroupie »

What was the success rate of your tutor last year?

If she normally gets most of her students in, then, if she says he is fine, then he probably is.

If however her pass mark is less than 80% then I would be looking harder at mock results against other applicants.

It is just like the Olympics, it is all about what everyone else is doing and there will be a lot of students beavering away improving their scores on a daily basis right now.

It is first past the post mark by mark.

Nobody ever posts saying they did too much, but there will be lots of posters when the results come out that find out when it is too late that others did more and overtook them.

Why not try some other papers? There are loads around and it does help to use other publishers. DG
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I don't think anyone can know the answer to that (i.e. is 60% enough?) and it doesn't change what you'd do between now and the tests does it? You just have to try not to worry and concentrate on being positive. I think the one key difference can be a child's confidence - going into the test feeling positive (so they don't panic, approach "new" questions confidently etc).

I think this year will be odd in that its the first year AGSB is part of the Trafford Consortium. I think it may throw up some anomalies.

Good luck!
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Thank you both for your helpful posts.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now