CEM Consortium Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Panicker

Re: CEM Consortium Results

Post by Panicker »

398 and above is currently a top 20 score for UGS.
But for the purposes of allocation of places this will significantly lower as a lot of the higher scores will choose elsewhere e.g. AGSB or the independent schools.
That’s why there’s not a great deal of point in knowing what the current top 20 scores are (individual scores or tied scores, not 20%) as who knows who will choose where. It would only give definite assurance if your child has already scored higher than the confirmed lowest top 20 score for the school you want.
TC1

Post by TC1 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:
TC1 wrote:"I've seen a 400 for Stretford.

I know of kids who got around 400 for Alty Boys. Presume they got higher than that for Stretford, but it's awkward to ask people for their score at every school."

Is that for this year?
Yes, for this year

That's amazing - still hoping for an ooc place for AGSB with my son's score of 353. Never know, he might just scrape it :)
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

TC1 wrote:
KaB£H1s3 wrote:
TC1 wrote:"I've seen a 400 for Stretford.

I know of kids who got around 400 for Alty Boys. Presume they got higher than that for Stretford, but it's awkward to ask people for their score at every school."

Is that for this year?
Yes, for this year

That's amazing - still hoping for an ooc place for AGSB with my son's score of 353. Never know, he might just scrape it :)
Are you in catchment for any of the other grammars or close in distance?
TC1

Post by TC1 »

Unfortunately not in catchment for any of them. We live in Manchester, about 25 minute drive to Trafford.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

You got a chance of getting in all 4.

You would have been close to a top 20 in the past 5 years at Urmston.

Fingers crossed for you. :)
TC1

Post by TC1 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:You got a chance of getting in all 4.

You would have been close to a top 20 in the past 5 years at Urmston.

Fingers crossed for you. :)
Thank you so much! :D
TC1

Post by TC1 »

Hi everyone, my son got his first choice of AGSB. However, we have actually accepted an offer for MGS. In two minds now. MGS is obviously a top school and is much closer to us. AGSB is about 20 minute drive, withot traffic. Anyone who does this commute of a similar time shed some light on how and if this affected your son? We're just worried he wl be tired everyday.
Generally, any advice on AGSB Vs MGS. We're about 90 per cent sure that we're sending him MGS
cherryblossom

Post by cherryblossom »

Hi TC1

My sons travel to school and back by tram. We are out of catchment. They have coped pretty well and seem to enjoy their commute to school. Once they arrive at Altrincham tram station, there is a 15 minute walk to the school which they do with other friends they meet on the tram. There is also a bus service as well.

It's fantastic having a choice between Alty Boys and MGS. I am sure MGS is a great option if your son really likes the school and what it offers and if finances are not an issue for you. We didn't apply to any of the private schools. Alty was their first choice.

My sons have enjoyed their time to date at Alty Boys and have made many new friends there. They didn't know anyone when they went but they have made friends easily. There are boys from many different primary schools, both from the state and private sector. As for the commute, once they have their friends on the bus or the tram, they soon forget the time it takes to travel there and back. They haven't complained of being tired. I guess it depends on how your son feels about the commute and whether he likes what Alty Boys offer. Congratulations to your son for having done brilliantly!!
TC1

Post by TC1 »

Hi Cherryblossom, thank you so much for the response. It was really helpful. We did a trial run to school and back yesterday by car, took about 23 minutes there and the same time back. It's not ideal bt I did notice a lot of the boys walked towards the tram station together.
It's nice that your boys have each other.
MGS is more convenient but again, still thinking about it as even though we can afford the fees at the moment, you just never know what could happen and 7 years is a massive committment.
Thanks again for the advice
TC1

Post by TC1 »

Cherryblossom, do you mind sharing which area you live in? We live in Didsbury so tram station is right on our door step. I'm not sure if there's a direct tram to Altrincham though, will need to check.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now