SWGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
here'sjohnny!!!

SWGS

Post by here'sjohnny!!! »

I hope this post gets noticed as this Wiltshire group seems infrequently visited!

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of SWGS? What the school is like for girls on a day to day basis? Any cliques, bullying, etc?

Is it super tough to get in to like the grammars near to London?
hopefulmum2

Re: SWGS

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Hi I have a daughter in year 9 at SWGS and she loves it. I was worried that she wouldn't cope well going from a small class size in primary to 30 girls at secondary but she hasn't had any problems. The girls seem generally supportive and non-cliquey. It is a great school with fantastic results. They have increased their intake for the last 2 years and so generally if you pass the test they get in (i think the pass rate is generally around 72%/73%. Feel free to ask any questions.
Mamaminky50

Post by Mamaminky50 »

We have a girl in year 8 who did the late entry test last summer at end of year 7 and passed and very quickly was offered a place by the school as several places became available at end of year 7 due to families moving away. She enjoys SWGS and her only moan is the lack of school residential trips for year 8 compared to other local secondary schools. Had no problem what so ever settling or coping with academic workload, which seems to be no harder than top set at St Edmunds Wyvern school
dodla4uall

Post by dodla4uall »

Hi All,
My daughter got a place in SWGS and planning to join in Sep2019 for year 9 . How is the school standard currently? I'm in Reading and currently she is going to the normal secondary school and hope would be better to join SWGS. We need to relocate Salisbury . Need peoples advise about school standards and results.
Thanks
DK
sk159

Post by sk159 »

Hi,

Any child passed the SWGS Salisbury test from Reading or Basingstoke ?
I heard, SWGS consider the catchement area very much.. Is it possible to get the admission in SWGS being in Basingstoke if my DD passed the test with good score ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sk159 wrote:Hi,

Any child passed the SWGS Salisbury test from Reading or Basingstoke ?
I heard, SWGS consider the catchement area very much.. Is it possible to get the admission in SWGS being in Basingstoke if my DD passed the test with good score ?

How far away are you from the school?

The admission statistics for recent years are on the school's website (I'm not sure how they can state that the pass mark is 71% when the scores ate standardised, but hey ho). Quite a lot of girls come from outside the catchment, 41for 2020 entry, up to 16-17ish miles on national offer day. Past data being no guarantee of future success and all that, however.

https://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/key-infor ... ment-area/,
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s about 40 miles between Basingstoke and the school. (A bit less as the crow flies but not by much).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:It’s about 40 miles between Basingstoke and the school. (A bit less as the crow flies but not by much).
:shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now