I wish we didn't have to put our kids through this.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southwiltsparent

I wish we didn't have to put our kids through this.

Post by southwiltsparent »

Our son sat the test yesterday and now we have the nightmare of waiting 4 months for the results. Salisbury should be ashamed that desperate parents force their children through this stress, due to the shockingly bad alternative local schools. I really wish there was a good comp in Salisbury, but the only chance of a decent education is BW. God help the poor boys who don't get in.

We witnessed one poor child literally running away from the gates of the school and then his screaming mother physically dragging him shouting "Somebody please help me"! Is this anyway to fairly educate our children.
Moonlight

Re: I wish we didn't have to put our kids through this.

Post by Moonlight »

I understand how you are feeling. I was in your situation a couple of years ago anxiously awaiting the results of the 11+ which was also nearly a four month wait. Our alternative was the local comp which I didn't want so we went down the route of applying for an indie school just so that we had a decent alternative.

Not only did my son sit through the 11+ but he also had several exams to sit for the other school just a few weeks later. I felt really bad that he had so many exams at such a young age but if there were more decent comps around, we wouldn't have had to resort to this.

It's a shame that access to a good education can often come down to where you just happen to live.

Happily though, he managed to get a place at grammar school and is really enjoying it. Looking back now, it was definitely worth the stress and pressure to be at such a fantastic school.

Try to put this process to the back of your mind for now and enjoy Christmas. Wishing you and your son all the best.
southwiltsparent

Re: I wish we didn't have to put our kids through this.

Post by southwiltsparent »

Thank you for your kind words. Glad it worked out for your son.