Mixed singed operation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Re: Mixed singed operation

Post by bravado »

mystery wrote:Kent isn't telling us whether it is cem, or gl assessment etc for 2014. At some point people will know, but I don't think there is a standard notification period. And a school can change its test pretty last minute.
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make - if you go to your regional board, then you'll find out what the situation is lol! :D

For example, if they'd gone to Kent, then helpful bods like yourself, amongst others, would have been able to reveal all/give the low-down and generally share the current knowledge on all matters concerning the 11+ in Kent . :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah sorry, was being stupid and thinking that board meant some kind of local organisation when of course you were meaning the message forum for your region on this website. Golden star could try the Wiltshire forum, yes. It does look a bit dead though.

There are only two grammars in Wiltshire I think - so the schools themselves can confirm it is gl assessment and the subjects needed. The best you can do then is practice the gl papers in the right subjects if it still is gl.

Which year golden star?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I have moved this topic to the Wiltshire forum.

Information from Bishop Wordsworth's School (for boys - I seem to recall goldenstar posting about her ds - but the same applies to South Wilts Grammar School for girls).

The test consists of three papers:
a. Mathematics (MA) – 50 minutes.
b. English (EN) – 45 minutes.
c. Verbal Reasoning (VR) – 50 minutes.

The Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning tests are all in multiple choice format and are compiled by GL Assessment.

The English test may contain aspects of any of the following four areas that are reflected in the National Curriculum: Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

The Maths test reflects all areas of the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2 and covers the areas of Number, Algebra, Measures, Shape and Space, Handling Data.

The questions are contained in a booklet and answers are entered on a separate optical mark reader answer sheet. Please note that papers from previous years will not be made available to parents.

To return to the original question then yes "all areas of the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2" for maths would assume familiarity with negative numbers - so this could be part of the maths test, even if it doesn't make an appearance in VR.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Okanagan wrote:I have moved this topic to the Wiltshire forum.

Information from Bishop Wordsworth's School (for boys - I seem to recall goldenstar posting about her ds - but the same applies to South Wilts Grammar School for girls).

The test consists of three papers:
a. Mathematics (MA) – 50 minutes.
b. English (EN) – 45 minutes.
c. Verbal Reasoning (VR) – 50 minutes.

The Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning tests are all in multiple choice format and are compiled by GL Assessment.

The English test may contain aspects of any of the following four areas that are reflected in the National Curriculum: Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

The Maths test reflects all areas of the National Curriculum at Key Stage 2 and covers the areas of Number, Algebra, Measures, Shape and Space, Handling Data.

The questions are contained in a booklet and answers are entered on a separate optical mark reader answer sheet. Please note that papers from previous years will not be made available to parents.
Not sure about Paragraph 6:

6. The Eleven Plus test is taken under public exam conditions and most boys will be
affected by nerves at some point in the weeks and days before the test. Therefore,
parents are strongly advised to monitor and limit any activities which might put undue
additional pressure on the child and induce poor exam performance.

After-school football? All-night Minecraft sessions? Being sent up chimneys? Daily sessions with their tutor?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx