Any figures on number of pupils that sit the exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amoeba

Any figures on number of pupils that sit the exam?

Post by amoeba »

I vaguely recall seeing some for BWS, but not for SWGS. Any one know?
hopefulmum2

Re: Any figures on number of pupils that sit the exam?

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Hi Me again! I vaguely remember the numbers being 2 applying for one place (can't remember where I found the information). Just found the link - if it doesn't work the information is on the page named catchment. Scroll down below the map to see their numbers - how many applied, got offered places and whether they came from private or state school. http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/defaultPage.asp?Page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Bizarrely the numbers seem to be going down.

As far as I am aware, however, all the girls that passed got a place (so there was in effect no catchment area) unlike the boys' school where I know boys in Andover who passed and didn't get a place as they lived too far away.
bravado

Post by bravado »

hopefulmum2 wrote:Hi Me again! I vaguely remember the numbers being 2 applying for one place (can't remember where I found the information). Just found the link - if it doesn't work the information is on the page named catchment. Scroll down below the map to see their numbers - how many applied, got offered places and whether they came from private or state school. http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/defaultPage.asp?Page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Bizarrely the numbers seem to be going down.

As far as I am aware, however, all the girls that passed got a place (so there was in effect no catchment area) unlike the boys' school where I know boys in Andover who passed and didn't get a place as they lived too far away.
Does SWGS still have a 12 mile catchment or is it a superselective?
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Hi SWGS still has an official catchment but it is just my understanding that all girls that have passed the exam (I think it currently stands at 72/73%) got a place regardless of their lcoation. Hope this helps.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

hopefulmum2 wrote:Hi Me again! I vaguely remember the numbers being 2 applying for one place (can't remember where I found the information). Just found the link - if it doesn't work the information is on the page named catchment. Scroll down below the map to see their numbers - how many applied, got offered places and whether they came from private or state school. http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/defaultPage.asp?Page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Bizarrely the numbers seem to be going down.

That's exactly what I was after, thank you Helpfulmum2!

So any conjecture on why the numbers are falling? You'd think with independent school fees rocketing, a lot of the parents who struggle to send private would push for the Grammars! Is it because the surrounding comprehensive schools are doing better?