Wirral Exam today wasn’t walk in the park

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SAK1983

Wirral Exam today wasn’t walk in the park

Post by SAK1983 »

I think the above summarises what I gather from my own son and his friends . They found maths and nvr easy but were taken by surprise Edited by moderator. Please do not give out details of the test that could benefit late sitters.
Guest55

Re: Wirral Exam today wasn’t walk in the park

Post by Guest55 »

Please amend the last sentence - there may be late sitters.
fingers crossed

Post by fingers crossed »

My DS isn’t giving much away but I don’t think it was a walk in the park either :(
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

My DD said it was more difficult than the Upton exam last week, but that’s about all. I had prepared her that today would be the more difficult of the two. Now we wait for the results, hope the next month goes quickly.
biddidoo

Post by biddidoo »

Are we allowed to talk about the 2018 test yet?
My son sat it this year and thankfully passed, but with a score or 236 (phew-close!)
TBH his confidence was a little knocked as he definitely found it a very difficult test and just passing 'on the nose' was a bit of a shock as even his tutor said he should have scored higher. He achieved what was necessary and that's all that matters.
However, it's my daughters turn this year, and she will probably find it more challenging so I'd like to prepare her as thoroughly as possible. CEM obviously lived up to their promise of keeping things fresh.....

edited by a moderator
Heidimaghellian

Post by Heidimaghellian »

Biddidoo - Interesting to see your son just scraped through as did my daughter with a 238 when I thought she'd score much higher. Made me feel a little better given your son was also predicted to do better. I wonder what the overall pass rate was so I could get an idea of how well she has done. I do hope it's enough to get in. A better score would have left me feeling more confident, although was told that a pass means you get in but who can tell how many have passed and applied to a particular school! I had thought given the Head's talk that their chosen criteria is local girls over high scores and it would be nice to know what that score represents as a percentage. She had said they only need to get about 65%/70% so that must be roughly the pass mark. I'd love to know if the scores are public knowledge (numbers only not names of course) to get an idea as I am considering changing my options to Upton as my daughter scored higher on that test so may have better chance, but there's no way of knowing. Although no idea how I'd change my preferences - probably have to appeal after 1 March. What a nightmare the system is. To be honest I don't know about the boys but the girls all looked shell-shocked when they came out of the exam and my daughter said lots of girls were crying during the exam! Well done to your son!
biddidoo

Post by biddidoo »

Hi - Thanks - same to your daughter.
I wouldn’t worry - a pass is a pass and that’s all they need.
My son did some mock exams with ***** and o think this paid dividends in the end. Not sure how he would have fared if he hadn’t done this.
Don’t worry about the actual score, she will get into her grammar school of choice as long as she passed the 236 mark. That’s why it’s there.
I just the exam itself threw up a few unexpected surprises and wondered if anyone could be specific about what they were?
The exam I think tends to stay of a similar format for a year or two before they introduce something new.
I hope you get your school of choice ( i’m Sure you will)
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

In my DD’s school, more girls passed the eleven plus than Upton. I think only 4 girls passed both. My DD passed both comfortably but most of her tuition and prep was geared towards Upton as that was always her preference. My DD did say that she left a few sections of the eleven plus incomplete because she ran out of time. So we were surprised when she scored as well as she did.

Last year in her primary I think only 2 children passed the eleven plus so this years year 6’s have do every well. Roll on March :D
Heidimaghellian

Post by Heidimaghellian »

Yes my DD did get her first choice of WG! But now wants her 2nd choice of Upton!!! No chance of that happening with all the over-subscription. Apparently she did tell me but I put them down wrong. I wonder what the lowest scores were approx that wd have get you into Upton. I might ask the school and then hopefully they'll say she wouldn't have got in anyway in which case I'll feel much better lol Such a game of chance!
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Hi whereabouts are you? We’re Oxton and all 4 girls who put Upton first from her school got it. Not sure what the other girls scores were but my DD scored 268. Fingers crossed for you on the waiting list I hope your DD can get a place. The acceptance slips have to be returned by the 6th so you may have a better idea after that date. Sad to hear there’s disappointed girls this year, I’ve never known Upton to be oversubscribed like this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now