Wirral Grammar School Boys oversubscribed ???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SteveSt

Wirral Grammar School Boys oversubscribed ???

Post by SteveSt »

Hi everybody on this great forum.

I am embarking upon an appeal for my son but have heard that some pupils are not getting in even when they achieve the standard.

The reason, I understand, is that many parent whose children would have gone to Calday Grammar are putting Wirral Boys as first choice because of all the trouble with the headteacher & governors.

Has anyone else heard similar?
guest43

Re: Wirral Grammar School Boys oversubscribed ???

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. No but it makes sense. It would only take a small swing to cause the issue that you mention, given that the schools are equidistant from places like Heswall, Wallasey etc.

Having said that people who put a Grammar School as their first and second choices would still receive an offer. If Wirral is full it might make sense to try to have a quiet word directly with Calday or perhaps, given the turmoil over there, with St. Anselm's.
SteveSt

Post by SteveSt »

Thanks for your answer and advice, appreciated.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

I'd be really surprised if it wasn't, same with the girls with the suggestion west kirby is becoming an academy
cjfrjm

Post by cjfrjm »

Hi there

I have heard similar regarding Calday v Wirral, but also that this 'millenium' cohort is not only 8-9% higher than recent years but also there is a higher percentage (again 8-9%) of boys than girls. Don't know if this true nationally but certainly applies to 4 primary schools I know of!

If this is correct then obviously all these factors put together result in an obvious but 'out of our control as parents' disadvantage for current year 6 boys.

My son passed by over 10 marks and was not offered a place based on distance (according to google maps this is just over 6 miles), the same applies to his friend who lives closer by ~1/2 mile.

I have also been told of a boy who apparently put Wirral 1st, Calday 2nd and passed the 11+, was not offered a place at Wirral but was offered a place at Calday which is further away but has a higher number of year 7 entrants.

Hope some of this is useful to you and good luck!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

I am sad enough to have found the figures from the Wirral Council website for number of boys in Wirral Borough by year!

The latest figures are for January 2010 and show the following
AGE at Jan 10 NUMBER
7 1768
8 1722
9 1578
10 1772
11 1761
12 1888
13 1891

Pupils entering secondary education in September 2011 would have been between 9 and a 1/4 and 10 and a 1/4 in January 2010. Figures therefore show no sign of a bulge. If anything it looks like a particularly low intake.

I think that we can discount the bulge theory and point to a swing to Wirral away from Calday due to its well-publicised difficulties.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

2 weeks later and we'd be in next years figures :(