Birkenhead School (mixed)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Goldie

Birkenhead School (mixed)

Post by Goldie »

My daughter is in year 7 at local comp after missing 11plus mark by 9. I have two older girls both in grammar school. We appealed unsuccessfully and decided to see how she got on. After all it's always been my belief that if you are clever enough you will get on well no matter which school you attend. So after7 months I am sad to say I am wrong. She is so unhappy.her reports etc have been fantastic, she is top off the class. BUT she tells me of disruptive lessons, smoking 12yr olds, bullying and ridicule for wanting to learn. She came home the other day having made a paper lantern, the sort of thing you'd expect from year2!
My long post does have a point......bear with me.....
My M in Law has offered to pay for BHS. :shock: I need any info about the current year 7 ie how many girls are there, is she likely to get a place(tests & meeting with head organized) and am I doing the right thing.
All advice gratefully received. Thanks!
irbymum

Re: Birkenhead School (mixed)

Post by irbymum »

Goldie,

If you have the chance to make a move to Birkenhead School (BS) I would grab it with both hands! Our DD moved there from Birkenhead High School Academy (BSHA) - we were really worried about the change, but it was the best move she ever made. It is quite an academic school - so wouldn't suit everybody, but the kids there seem so positive and friendly, there are loads of opportunities for sport, music etc, the class sizes allow for much more individual help and most of all my DD is really happy there! Knowing what we know now, if we could make our choices again we would have chosen a coeducational school (and this one in particular) every time.

I think there are about 10 girls in year 7, out of 60....they also bunch them into classes so that they don't feel isolated.
Let me know how you get on!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I have a DD at Birkenhead School in Year 9. I can't begin to tell you how good a school I think it is. In fact one key reason she went there (in the first co-ed intake!) was because we met 2 sets of parents who were fanatical about the School. I can't begin to tell you what a ball my DD has had.

In terms of practicals. Yes of course it was recently a boys school but girls now make up approaching a quarter of the whole school and there are girls in every year. Depending on numbers girls are clustered together although it is unlikely that many (if any) lessons will be all girls, with the exception of games and some PHSE. PE is mixed. Lessons typically have around 15 pupils in.

The School is well aware of issues to do with co-ed and rest assured the pastoral team will be keeping a close eye and will deal with any issues. That said the atmosphere in my opinion is way better than when my DD was at the all girls BHS (RIP). Boys are certainly not idolised as in all girl establishments!

It is an academic school and pupils are expected to work hard. You will quickly be told about how much better the A Level results were compared with the Grammar Schools. That said there are a number of 11plus failures and the School uses other methods to decide whether a pupil will benefit (ie English and Maths but sometimes just looking for a positive attitude) Similarly issues such as hair makeup etc will rapidly escalate to detention and suspension. I can tell you now that smoking in school would be an automatic expulsion. Girls are not given any concessions and are treated as equal with the boys. That said discipline is not at all heavy handed. It is a very friendly place with a lot of respect between pupils and teachers.

Pupils are also expected to get involved in the extra-curricula activities games, drama etc. There are some months in which my DD has been in school (by choice!) every day including Saturdays and Sundays.

Have a look at the website. Often these sites are full of Marketing spin but I think this is a good reflection. Maybe the Photo Gallery with the Science Fair and the Ski Trip give you a good flavour.

I hope this helps.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

My DD joined in year 5 and we thought she'd leave and go to WKGG but now it's come to the crunch she doesn't want to leave and we are moving house to be closer to the school. It's a lovely school, throughly recommend it.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Oh and of course i know the current year 7's all of which are delightful there's not one girl I can think who is anything but lovely unlike some that s friends child has encountered at her all girls selective.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

We moved house to be closer to School.

Be prepared to be the constant temporary resting place of those girls whose lifts home have been delayed or where it's not worth girls (and boys) going home from school and back out again (drama, music etc)!
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Many thanks for the responses! Have told daughter of the plans today and she is very very apprehensive. She is scared of not knowing anyone and being the new girl (this is assuming she is offered a place) I am so grateful to you all for the positivity you are sending out. It is helping me a lot!
I will keep you posted with progress!
3pink

Post by 3pink »

guest43 wrote:We moved house to be closer to School.

Be prepared to be the constant temporary resting place of those girls whose lifts home have been delayed or where it's not worth girls (and boys) going home from school and back out again (drama, music etc)!
I hope so i like a full nest :)
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

irbymum wrote:Goldie,

If you have the chance to make a move to Birkenhead School (BS) I would grab it with both hands! Our DD moved there from Birkenhead High School Academy (BSHA) - we were really worried about the change, but it was the best move she ever made. It is quite an academic school - so wouldn't suit everybody, but the kids there seem so positive and friendly, there are loads of opportunities for sport, music etc, the class sizes allow for much more individual help and most of all my DD is really happy there! Knowing what we know now, if we could make our choices again we would have chosen a coeducational school (and this one in particular) every time.

I think there are about 10 girls in year 7, out of 60....they also bunch them into classes so that they don't feel isolated.
Let me know how you get on!

10 girls out of 60 doesnt sound alot, I would be worried regarding friendships. All it take is one girl to fall out or not like another for your daughters to feel isolated.
rj999

Post by rj999 »

"You will quickly be told about how much better the A Level results were compared with the Grammar Schools."

You may be told that, but here is the 2010/11 league table. A Levels at the end:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/tab ... NTCMP=SRCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may sort on the columns using the header.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now