Wirral Grammar for Girls under subscribed.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bebington

Post by Bebington »

Mine too! Are you in the area guest?

Post by Guest »

Hi

We live in Little Sutton so a bit further out than you I think
Bebington

Post by Bebington »

I think that will be your reason for not getting in then.

But I really would speak to your head teacher on Monday and ask for their input.
That’s what I'm doing and then we will take it from there.
I think that's your best option head teachers have a lot of experience in these matters and I would think would be frank with what they suggest if anything.

Just remember if you don’t ask you will never gain anything. Information is key.

My biggest worry is upsetting my daughter again and I will not take this lightly in my decision to stay with what we have or appeal.

Good luck!

I will keep you informed!

Post by Guest »

Thanks Bebington,

I will speak to her current headteacher and the headteacher at Wirral Grammar and see what they advise.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Newbie but stressed

Post by Newbie but stressed »

According to the manual it says.

"As soon as the results are known they are shared with the Headteacher in confidence the score of their pupils.

They then invite the head to provide written information on behalf of any children whose test results, do not in their view reflect the childs potential...
" unquote

I can only assume the Head in this case has put a strong case forward which has gone to the (IAB) independant assessment board who have agreed the case and allocated the places.

Let us know how it goes with the Head....

Good Luck

NBS
Bebington

Post by Bebington »

That is the conclusion I came to also.
Its also made me realise that if the head teacher also thought this about my daughter she would also have got in having a higher score (be it only 1 point).
Which leads me to believe she appealed with whom and what she believed to be the right pupils.

With this in mind I have decided that I'm not going to appeal as I believe my daughter had everything going for her i.e. tutor, paper's and so on.
Yes everybody me, her teacher and tutor have been dumb folded to how this happened as she has always fared so well into the mid 90s (even on practice papers at school).
The fact is it has happened and we must now focus on what is important and that's an exciting new school.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bebington

Please do not give up until you have spoken to your head.

You were the one sho said....
bebington wrote: Just remember if you don’t ask you will never gain anything. Information is key.
Patricia
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

For what it's worth, I have been looking at my carefully preserved allocation letters from 2003. Both my children got more than 236.

The sheet which shows the test scores has:

Standard Score Test 1 - (child's score 1)
Standard Score Test 2 - (child's score 2)
Aggregate Verbal Reasoning Test Score - (total of scores 1 and 2)
Cut off point for Grammar School - 236
Referral to Independent Assessment Board - NO
Outcome of Referral - Not applicable

Unless they have changed the format I assume this is still the same, and as the cut off is still 236 anyone who has been allocated a Grammar School place at this stage with less than 236 MUST have been referred by their Head to the Independent Assessment Board so their allocation letter ought to say:

Referral to Independent Assessment Board - YES
Outcome of Referral - Successful (or whatever phrase they use)

Anyone with just a few points below 236 should therefore be able to tell from their letter whether or not their Head has referred them. It would be worth checking with anyone who has been offered a place on less than 236 what their letters say.

Must say I never knew anyone in this situation - we were told these referrals would be "rare".
hi

cheating tutors

Post by hi »

Does any one else know of tutors who have access to actual past papers?
This is cheating and Wirral should know about it. It isn't a level playing field. We have one name to report. any others?
Bebington

Post by Bebington »

Thank you wombat! You have cleared that up for me at least.
I just got off the phone to 1 of the 3 that passed on a lower score than my daughter and they confirmed it did have a Referral to independent assessment board and outcome was successful.
Ours however had No next to referral.
I wish I had found this forum sooner as between you all you have a vast amount of knowledge.
Thank you to all!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now