Wirral Grammar for Girls under subscribed.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

our daughter scored 223, she was getting 97% when doing papers at home, is there based on her score any possibility of gaining a place at Wirral grammer due to being under subscribed and is it worth contacting the education or present school for advise.
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

I would be very surprised if Wirral Girls is really "under subscribed" - though they have obviously offered places to a few people already as a result of the Independent Assessment Board, this is probably enough to make up the allocation of 160 places - it is usually oversubscribed and turns away some people with more than 236 on distance grounds. Some people might turn places down (e.g if they have accepted a place at an independent school) which would free up a few places.

A few people do seem to get in on appeal every year so if you think you have a case it would certainly be worth making further enquiries about the appeal process. It's worth remembering though that the further adrift you are from the score of 236 the more children there will be with the same or higher score who might also appeal - I knew someone who appealed for Wirral Boys' a few years ago on 226 and did not get in. However each case is individual so I would certainly speak to your Head, the LEA, the Girls' School.....the latter could at least tell you whether there is any truth in this undersubscription rumour.

Re: cheating tutors

Post by Guest »

hi wrote:Does any one else know of tutors who have access to actual past papers?
This is cheating and Wirral should know about it. It isn't a level playing field. We have one name to report. any others?
I'd be surprised if tutors had actual past papers. I wouldn't be surprised if tutors had actual Practice papers from eleven plus.

The papers from this Website and other sources are very similar to the actual exams anyway its just the questions are different or maybe vocabulary slighty differs.

But the level of complexity and question types is on par with the exam.
bob

cheating tutors

Post by bob »

One tutor gives his students last year's paper the day before the practice tests. This is of course`the paper they use for the practice so they know exactly what to do. Also if you have actual papers you can identify which questions are 'recycled' each year and familiarise your students with these. Fair?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

We have known girls who live out of area in Little Sutton who passed the 11+ but were not offered a place. However, they were succesful when making a late application for a place at Upton.

If someone has access to past papers they probably have stolen them from a school. It is highly unlikely that a headteacher would authorise the use of past papers unless the person referred to is a headteacher!!!

The postings regarding Little Notes was based on her recommendation of the inappropriate Bond practice books for the Wirral tests not on her ability to tutor children successfully to pass the 11+ tests.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

In addition, Littlenotes was advocating the use of shop bought NFER, stating these papers contained ALL the relevant types of questions for the Wirral, when, of course, we know this to be incorrect.

Shop bought NFER = 15 types of questions

Actual NFER tests used for tests = 21 types of questions

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Another factor to take into account...

My son passed with 273 and was allocated a place at the boys grammer school. However, we have turned down his place as we have decided to send him to Birkenhead.

So, there may also be additional places available.
Worried Mom

Interesting information

Post by Worried Mom »

I did a little survey of my sons school, all the boys that wrote the exam at wirral grammer didn't pass. All the boys who wrote the exam at caldy did. I find this very intertesting. Last year both schools where undersubcrided acorrding to the LEA.

If you think you might want to appeal do so or you will wonder what could have been.........

Anyone now of any boys excepted to St Anselms who are going? My son is number 2 on the waiting list!
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Have you already appealed? or were you told on your allocation letter that you had been put on a waiting list.
I don't think you will have any problem being 2nd on a waiting list, now it's just a waiting game.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Another factor to take into account...

My son passed with 273 and was allocated a place at the boys grammer school. However, we have turned down his place as we have decided to send him to Birkenhead.

So, there may also be additional places available.
There are places available, I looked on the website. If only Calday was in the same position.......... :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now