12+ anyone done this?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumonthewirral

12+ anyone done this?

Post by mumonthewirral »

Has anyone's Daughter taken the 12 plus for Upton Hall. Just wondered what the exam was like.(I know it is different to the 11 plus)What was the outcome, did your child get offered a place , did she settle in ok? Just considering my daughter to take it in December.She only missed it by a few points, appealed but lost, all dd friends got in and she is gutted.
Maybelle

Re: 12+ anyone done this?

Post by Maybelle »

Hi MOTW :)
Sorry, I dont really have any info, but noticed you didnt have any other response. I've had a quick look on the web, but cant find any 12+ for Upton? The best option might be to e-mail them and tell them what you've just told us? You never know, they might be able to arrange another test?

Has DD really not settled into her allocated school? Would it be worth speaking to them instead, so that they can help your DD to settle?

Apologies again, wish I could have been a bit more helpful.

Good Luck, whatever you decide...
M
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
mumonthewirral

Post by mumonthewirral »

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify my dd took the 11 PLUS last year ,still in year 6. I have been told by Upton Hall she can take their 12 + in Dec. Just Wondered if anyone has done the same, did they settle in , the right thing etc? It is a different exam , so advice welcome. Upton Hall also said 2 girls joined year 7 after taking the 12 + so not all hope lost.
Just to add, would like to know opinions of this.. we did not have support from PS for an appeal which we lost , OK, accept that, but they refused to give a teachers assessment.. Another parent, same PS, child same ability, also refused a basic teachers assessment. This parent pushed, wish i had!. Someone from the LEA told them that the school had no legal right to with hold data on their child regardless whether it is for an appeal or not.This parent demanded the PS in question to fax the teachers assessment to the appeal panels, with pressure from the LEA ,They did. They won their appeal for WKGS.
Can't help feeling if i had basic proof my dd might have had a chance. Teachers can get it wrong!
3pink

Post by 3pink »

There definately is a 12 plus option for the 2 grammars in fact Wirral are inviting those who didn't sit in December 2010 to sit on September this year, is that an option ?
2ndtime

Post by 2ndtime »

When you say they refused to supply an assessment do you mean projectetd SATs results? If so that's very poor - surely you have a right as a parent to know this information, regardless of what you do with it?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mumonthewirral

I am in Bucks, so my input is only partially relevant, but we do have a official 12+ & 13+ tests here. My DS1 took the 12+ and was successful.
mumonthewirral wrote:Just Wondered if anyone has done the same, did they settle in , the right thing etc?
Yes, but it won't necessarily be plain sailing, and may take a little time. It depends on how sociable and outgoing your DD is. Even the quieter, less confident kids make it in the end, although it can take a couple of years. It also depends on how many children she would also know at the school already.
they refused to give a teachers assessment.. Another parent, same PS, child same ability, also refused a basic teachers assessment. This parent pushed, wish i had!. Someone from the LEA told them that the school had no legal right to with hold data on their child regardless whether it is for an appeal or not.This parent demanded the PS in question to fax the teachers assessment to the appeal panels, with pressure from the LEA ,They did. They won their appeal for WKGS.
Can't help feeling if i had basic proof my dd might have had a chance. Teachers can get it wrong!
Please read this point in the Appeals Q&A - you have every right to request information about your child's progress: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could go back to the primary school even now and insist on receiving the information. Hopefully they would still have it on record.

Sally-Anne
mumonthewirral

Post by mumonthewirral »

Hi My dd's friends are all going to Upton so she would know everyone. She is outgoing so hopefully she would settle in quickly if lucky enough to pass and get offered a place. The PS did refuse to give any written SAT predictions based on it would look like they were supporting our appeal when they were not! Now i know otherwise, bit late ! So if any other parent is refused a statement from a school the LEA say it is your legal right to have it. We still might not have won our appeal but at least it would have given her a better chance, as the other parent who, good on her , pushed harder for it. I noticed a wince from one of the panel members when i said the PS were unable to give us a statement. Incedently the panel were lovely and it was not too much of an ordeal though still nerve racking. If she settles in her allocated school and is happy we may not go for the 12 +, it depends on my dd. As long as she is happy that is the main thing.However i think she is daunted at the prospect of another entrance exam so if anyone knows how their dd coped i would love to know. It might just reassure my dd. Thanks for the comments so far.
mumonthewirral

Post by mumonthewirral »

Etienne, have asked school for a written child progress,say they STILL can't provide it.
When i asked for a SATS :? predication at the time of the appeal they said then only a verbal statement could be given. As the other parent managed to get a written statement faxed when the word 'legal' was mentioned, they managed that in 5 minutes! That was only 2 weeks ago. I cannot understand their stance on this? I just wonder if they think i know about the other parent, as i have not said anything to them about this. It is too late now but i would just like to see it in writing as the other parent said it was quite a detailed report. :
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Is this a state school ?
My feeling is if they aren't supporting your appeal there is a reason for that because usually they bust a gut to support you as it reflects well on them. Perhaps in all honesty they feel it's not the school for her ?
(Not suggesting I know your child better than you, but just a thought maybe the school know Upton).
ControlAltDelete

Post by ControlAltDelete »

Sorry, and with all due respect 3pink, there could be reasons other than your suggestion as to why a school does not support an 11+ appeal. I speak from experience!

Our DC eventually went to a selective school out of the control of the (11+) local authority and absolutely thrived. She had been far less happy at primary than she has been at secondary school socially as well as academically. At primary, our feeling was that she could never do anything right as far as they were concerned. At secondary school she has excellent relationships throughout the school ( and I mean vertically through the years, not just across her own year group). Some pupils who passed the 11+ in her year have proved themselves not to be as academic as she is. The 11+ is a snapshot of 'potential' on one day and cannot be totally accurate. Also, lots of other factors come into play such as propensity to work , does a child want to achieve, or, are they content to cruise along at secondary. I have seen very many pupils with ability put more effort into avoiding work than actually doing some! Some pupils (and parents) seem to think the goal is achieved when they get into the grammar school of their choice. IMHO some ability and hard work and interest is often more successful than those who appear to be high fliers initially. We have sufficient contact with those who were at primary school and who achieved their desired places to know that this is so.

I would say go for it! Only you know, in your heart of hearts what your child will make of it. Your attitude and support is essential. [When we had been to an open day prior to DC starting at the school, I was so concerned that we hadn't made the right choice after all that I drove up a one way street the wrong way :roll:].

Good luck with this and let us know how you get on

best wishes CAD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now