Questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lily

Post by Lily »

I was definately told that it would be different for the 2008 intake.
Stressed as a stressed thing in stressed land..............
HopefulDen

Date changes

Post by HopefulDen »

Interesting this to see how they could do it for this year. I don't think they'd have to move the exams forward by very much to do this, just speed up assessment and inform parents promptly. And/Or allow eleven plus parents to submit preference after the exams rather than at the start of the term. I guess attainment rates would still reflect the child's ability but pass marks would have to be lowered. And you wouldn't have that long wait until March-I'm going to find that very hard anyway! I'll watch this space
Denise J
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den

Finally decided to register,just looked at your profile seems we share the same profession I'm a library assistant .
I agree ,could be inetresting if they decide to bring exams forward ,lets hope they let us know soon!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Pensby

You are probably in a better position to research this next bit of information than I am, but I vaguely remember a legal challenge that was made by (I think) a parent group who were opposed to the moving of the 11+ tests. There must be something in the local newspaper archives that covered the case.

When we first started tutoring, the tests were held in January/February and althought they were moved to November/December the LEA still did not release the results until March. Although individual primary schools do have the results at the beginning of January.

The 11+ test is a selection test whereby, based on performance, children are selected or invited to attend one of the grammar schools.

The parents can give a preference for a particular school but they do not have choice. The choice only becomes relevant if a parent whose child passes the 11+ chooses not to send them to the grammar school.

A parent with a borderline child has a major headache when making preferences. Do they put the high school preference first or do they put the grammar school preference first? Grammar schools are notorious for only accepting first preference candidates and LEAs are notorious for not providing places at second preference schools.

Most people would think that a small element of "caring for the child involved" could be introduced into the selection process!!

Regards

Mike
Pensny

Post by Pensny »

Hiya Mike,
I don't think working in the University library will help much with researching what you mentioned!

I agree with your points,Wirral council are very unhelpful with the 11+ in general,there's nothing of any help on their website and certainly no clues to any changes in admission policy for this year.

thanks for your interesting reply

Pensby
HopefulDen

Choices

Post by HopefulDen »

Thanks Mike for the reply-I agree with all of it. My original e mail to this site a couple of months was generated by the problems you mention and then you also have to factor in that if the child makes the standard will they be rejected on grounds of distance or level of marks-I worry about all of this

By the way Hi Pensby-I feel I know you already and we can support each other in this stressful journey (Not pre supposing anything but it's possible our two boys ended up knowing each other at a later date...)
Den
Denise J
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den
Yes ,I feel the same way!

Wouldn't it be fate if our boys became friends,lets hope thats' the case.

Us stressed Mum's need to stick togetether!

Keep in touch

Pensby
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now