Progress

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den
From what I was told when my daughter took her exam 2 years ago the kids who are NOT 11 when they sit are given points for each month they are younger by,my daughter was a July b'day so we assumed she would get a fair few points,Patrick is Nov so we are working on his raw score.

He hates english so any language questions are his downfall,he loves maths so codes ,number sequences etc are okay.We do try to encourage reading to improve his language and will use the word list from Sept.He's only really done the papers on cd3 and gets about 90-95% on them ,will use the written ones from the site in Sept.Also also some nfer nelson from daughter.

Cheeky question, but where are you a librarian as I'm a library assistant in liverpool!

We are going to the evening , open evening(both work daytime)where else are you going,not sure if to go to Pensby as don't want him to go there and Wirral's to far .

Where my son goes to school "all kids go to Penby boys or girls"those who choose the Grammars are seen as wanting too much for their kids!We've told Patrcik if he's the only to go to Grammar then so what.

I find this site great too,as most of his friends will not sit the 11+ so no-one to chat to and get ideas from,wish it had been here 2 years ago !!

Anyway talk soon ,will help whenever I can
Pensby
HopefulDen

Reply to Pensby

Post by HopefulDen »

Hiya
I'm with you about not following the crowds to secondary school-we both know our we can make lasring friendships there.
We are probably going to the Thurday session at Calday so see you there. I've got to go and see Wirral (where most of his friends are going)
and unfortunately Park High as it's our closest school. we are also going to look at mosslands as it's our second closest school and I'm thinking of putting this down as the 3rd choice, although I don't know how likely that is, I would have valid reasons for prefering this school.

My job has a citywide brief so I'm all over the place but my office is at Sefton Park Library-welcome to drop in if passing! Where are you-in an academic library?
Den
Denise J
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Hi Den

Can understand your worries what with PH being your nearest school, but not sure how many people actually get as far as their 3rd choice!?

I'm sure you wont need it.

This year for Wirral Boys, distance didn't vome into it as there were places available, so kids as far as N Wales, Lpool and E.Port got in!

With hindsigt, i should have out grammar as first and second choice and Ridgeway third (as my oldest goes to Ridgeway which helps on getting a place), i did Wirral, Ridgeway then Woodchurch - which in theory was a wasted 3rd choice. Luckily it never came down to that anyway.

S
Sue
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Den,
I work for the University Library as a Library assistant ,I used to work for the city Library in Central before I had Patrick(so 10 years ago now!)

Do you have any other kids or do have to go through this just once?It is easier 2nd time round,coz my daughter passed it feels less of a mystery.The only down side is that Pensby Girls was more of an option than the Boys is.Not sure what else we'll put down,maybe even Neston!!
HopefulDen

Other choices

Post by HopefulDen »

Hi Pensby
I've worked for the city libraries now for about 21 years-so I may know you or at least heard of you-I worked in central about the time you were there in the Business Library and then Picton. PM me with you name and see if it rings my memory bells!

I grew up in Neston and mu 2 brothers went to Neston Comp-it's a good school-one of the boys in sam's class lives in Neston and I'm wondering if he's going to apply for Calday-we don't really Know as his Mum keeps herself to herself and she's not the sort who'd like to tell you if you asked-her daughter goes to Upton though so that's a bit of a clue I think. One of the other boys lives in Upton so he'll be Calday, another one has parents who are paying for independent, one for St Anslems as he's catholic but is still doing 11+, the others all want Wirral. Being in the middle so to speak we are closer to Wirral but the transport to Calday is more direct for Sam when he get's old enough for public transport as the bus to WK goes and stops right outside our house and drops off at the bottom of the hill up to Calday.There's a school bus that goes around wallasey that starts and drops off at at East Float (quite early mind you) and as my husband works by there is handy for him. Obviously we'll have to take him first 2 terms I think which will be logistically difficult but not impossible as my husband works shifts.

I do have another son but there is quite an age gap sp I'll have a breather in between. Howevr now i know what's involved I'll pay more attention when they start verbal reasoning with them in the juniors.

Den
Denise J
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

Good Luck Denise ... I'm sure yor son will be fine come exam day..

I would stay clear of Park High,,
HopefulDen

Thanks

Post by HopefulDen »

Thanks Newbie
doing my best to stay clear.....
Denise J