Birkenhead Academy v Birkenhead school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rebsto

Birkenhead Academy v Birkenhead school

Post by rebsto »

I have 2 girls, 1 boy and poss moving to the area, think with the fee commitment we would struggle with 3 at Birkenhead, they are all still primary age so a big stretch, we would want them to stay there till leaving education. any opinions on son here and daughters at the girls academy? are they similar ethos etc, would this sound a viable option, would they be getting similar education? obviously if i could they would go Birkenhead school but just think its out of reach, but seems my girls are quite suited to the BHSA in as much as I can understand. also how do i get a place mid year or out of normal admission times, they are full in one year that i would need?
thanks
guest44

Re: Birkenhead Academy v Birkenhead school

Post by guest44 »

Hi. As someone whose daughter has been at both BHSA and BS I would say that the schools are completely different in character. It is a long long time since they would be considered twins.I would recommend you organise visits. Am sure they would be pleased to see you
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

thanks for reply, if its not too rude, can i ask why you moved from one to the other? there is no space for one of my girls there at the mo anyway so am a bit stuck, we are moving into the area
guest44

Post by guest44 »

In my opinion BS is more demanding academically. As it turned out my DD much preferred a co-ed environment. We moved her as did many others when BHSA became a non selective school
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

thanks, do you know anyone who has appealed successfully due to class being full? thanks
guest44

Post by guest44 »

Well as far as BS is concerned there will not be any formal appeal process. However there are inevitably students joining and leaving the school regularly (moving jobs etc.) and so places will come up on a regular basis.

The absolute best thing for you to do is call the school and arrange a visit, organise taster days for the kids and discuss any issues (e.g. fees, places) face to face. Although BS is very traditional in some ways it tends to operate quite informally in others. It is not a large school (my DD says she knows the name and face of everyone in her year and two years either side). There are many parents who have various financial "deals" with the School.

They are certainly no longer "on holiday" given the number of emails I have had from them over the last two days!
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi

Not sure if help you now but I successfully won appeal when they wouldn't allow my daughter to attend.

If you accept the place for your daughter who can attend and then make your case saying that you want them both in same school this will help your case.

Kelannhugh x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now