Question on SAT (Standard Assessment Task) tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jbharlech

Question on SAT (Standard Assessment Task) tests

Post by jbharlech »

The 11 plus is meant to be an honest assessment of a child's ability be suitable to enter a school which has a curriculum to stimulate and to sustain secondary study to achieve a high academic standard.
Are there any statistics on the number of children in the Wirral not passing the 11 plus exam who had excellent SAT results, in advance of the average reading skills, and who were recognised in their school as 'gifted children?
As part of a study I am doing, I would be interested to know if there is any cause for concern over the accuracy of the 11plus to accurately predict a child's academic potential.
Hamnegg

Re: Question on SAT (Standard Assessment Task) tests

Post by Hamnegg »

My daughter left year 5 with a 4a sat score and so should be working to level 5's this year but didn't pass the 11 plus. This was a shock for us all, as I would say that she is working at an above average level.
cad

Post by cad »

It is difficult to get such stats as individual scores in year 5 not published, and not all schools have gifted and talented stream or programme (ours doesnt). I can say the 5 children inc. DS that all passed 11+ with high scores (not scraped by) are all being entered for separate level 6 Sats in May they are already achieving 5a+ this is end of year 6. They are of equal ability for Math and English.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

4a at the end of Year Five would mean you were going into the 11 plus on a Level 4 so certainly in our area this would make it unlikely that you would score very highly unless you prepared well. The 11 plus is a test of preparation not ability. Lots of parents do not understand that and do not prepare and so their student is not able to score highly in the papers. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now