11+ practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bebmum

11+ practice

Post by Bebmum »

My daughter did her first practice paper yesterday in school and she said it was ok but the questions weren't numbered 1-80, it was in sections instead with numbers 1-8 in each section. She found it difficult to judge the timing because of this and just finished the paper in time.

Does anyone know if papers are usually like this in the 11+ or is it just because it was a practice of the different question types?

Just wondering so we can work on her timing.

Thanks

Beb mum :?
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Bebmum,

It sounds like your daughter has done the familiarisation pack in school.
My son brought this home last week to do at home. ( They don't do any 11+ stuff in his primary.)

These papers are split into 5 different sections with between 8 and 16 questions in each section, section 1 being shorter to allow time for putting name and date of birth in, and are just so the children are familiar with all question types. It is meant to be gone through at different times with no timing of the tests. I let my son do it all and told him to ignore the question numbers and just be as quick as he can. It actually contains 88 questions.

The actual 11+ test papers are numbered 1-80.

The Instruction manual for the familiarisation pack also says "Not all the questions are as difficult as those included in the formal Practice Tests, or in the real selection tests. The scores pupils obtain on this test will not reflect their score on the actual selection tests."
Oh, I've actually only just read this bit now! Thought my son did quite well in it!

If this is what your daughter has done maybe her school will give actual practice papers next.

Good Luck
Scatshouse

Bebmum

Post by Bebmum »

Scatshouse

Thanks for your quick reply, it makes sense now I was worried everything I had told her about timing was wrong. She said they had been given the packs in school but I didn't realise that this is what they had done. I don't know when they will bring them home then.

Good luck to your son

Bebmum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now