Location of Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scatshouse

Location of Tests

Post by scatshouse »

Hi,

Received official letter with dates of Wirral tests today.

I'm probably being petty but does anybody else think it's unfair that my son has to travel to chosen grammar to take the tests, in unfamiliar surroundings along with many other children he doesn't even know, when other children will take tests in their own schools where everything will be familiar and they will be amongst their friends??

Scatshouse.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Scatshouse,

It probably is unfair when you look at it that way..

But children taking the tests at primary schools have other things to contend with too; Disruption from other younger children, other classes going on in close proximity, teachers who don't take the actual exam as seriously as grammar schools do.
Because they take it as a class the children are very familiar with each other and some try to distract others.

I cannot argue for or against either situation as I think both have advantages and disadvantages.

Sorry for sitting on the fence on this one..

Hope all is going well for you, not long now..

AM
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Have to say I see it as an advantage. Temptation being around friends is not to take it seriously. For Upton Hall all have to go to the school to take their test.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

I think I agree ,maybe all tests should be taken at the school,my son is taking it with 10 others at least 1 hasn't even put a grammar first,so I wonder how seriously it will be taken!

Scatshouse ,I'm sure your son will be fine whatever the situation he is in,if he thinks it is normal it won't even be an issue.

Good luck :D
Pensby
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

all the out of catchment children taking the 11 plus for Skipton schools had to either take the exam in the Town Hall or the Hall at the boys school. I don't think this caused them any problems - the ones I saw took it in their stride and they did fine , the pass rate was higher for out of catchment kids (unlike the local kids they only take the exam if there is a reasonable chance of passing)

herman
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

My daughter is taking the 11 plus at Wirral Grammar, and is excited about going there, despite it being for a test! Maybe it will be encouraging for your son to be back at the school he wants to go to. I agree that they will probably have set up the exam area so that there is less distraction than in the primary schools.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi,

Don't even know why I'm moaning really, when it seems in other parts of the country there don't seem to be enough places for the children who pass. At least we are more or less guaranteed a place if our children pass.

Appeal Mum,

I just feel that it should be the same for everybody, i.e. all take them at grammar or all take them in their own school. Presumably if they take them with their own class there'd be a maximum of 30 sitting as opposed to over 100 at the grammar.

When my daughter took the tests at West Kirby there were girls being sick and crying and being led from the room, surely this has to be more distracting than anything in your own school.

Guest2,

My daughter now attends Upton and their tests seemed far less stressful, but this could have something to do with the fact that on the morning of the tests we slept in until 8.40 for a 9a.m. start!! She didn't have time to stress about anything!! She did however do better on the second paper after a chocolate cake and drink!!

Pensby,

You're right my son will be fine, he's tougher than his sister, and he won't know any different. It's just me having a rant. I still do think he'd be more relaxed in a class of 10 than 100 though.

Scatshouse.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I hope you are right about being more or less guaranteed places. My daughter seems capable of passing, but I am worried about the distance from Wallasey to Wirral if it's oversubscribed. I wonder if the changes to Birkenhead High will mean that more girls are taking the 11 plus this year
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Wallasey,

For the past couple of years any child passing for Wirral has gained a place regardless of where they live, although this could change.

I don't think the changes to Birkenhead or the closure of Highfield is going to make much difference to the amount of entrants this year. Wirral Girls still had 13 places unfilled even after appeals this year.

I do think on Wirral we have much better odds than say Essex where there are almost 4000 children sitting for only 1197 places!

Good luck to you and your daughter, it will all be over bar the waiting soon.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I agree that the closure of Highfield will not make much difference (too few pupils and some/most of them were there as could not meet the academic challenges of Birkenhead High) however I am a little worried that the numbers fighting for places will increase due to some Birkenhead High girls going for Grammar too. (although when it comes down to it there is a possibility they may chose Birkenhead Boys (as is now co-ed!) but hopefully with falling roles then there should be enough places for those who pass.
I think though that years can vary considerably, I mean it was only 2 years ago that Wirral Girls was oversubscribed.
Here's hoping we're all ok.
Good luck with all the last couple of weeks preparation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now