Good Luck Wirral

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Daughter safely in there carrying a wodge of tissues and a smile. She seems ok about it all. Tried hard not to let her see the fear in my eyes! I actually felt quite emotional as she disappeared from view. It's in the lap of the gods now.
Heard a skid of brakes at 2.30am last night, looked out of the window and saw what looked to be someone removing a cat from the road. Had to go downstairs to see if our 2 cats were still with us. Thankfully they were otherwise I would have had to keep that from her until later. Took a while to get back to sleep!
Scatshouse-Hope you made it on time!
Good Luck everyone!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

frantic wrote:My son is not nervous at all - hopefully a good thing.
Pensby wrote:He seems confident
Notion Potion wrote:She seems ok about it all.
mumster wrote:She's fairly relaxed,
scatshouse wrote:Bernard seems wonderfully confident
We11, guys, are you Forum watching and nail-biting?? :shock:
you said it yourselves...the kiddos have done a mighty fine job, cool, :lol: huh?

Just remember that things do improve...
Newbie but stressed wrote:they have grown back nicely
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

OH NO!!!!!

What have I done to Bernard ??

He came out all hunched up looking like he was going to burst into tears :(

He said he'd had a stomach ache (nerves??) and couldn't concentrate, and that it was hard and he ran out of time for last two questions.

I really wanted to give him all his Christmas presents now, just to cheer him up. (Glad I didn't, I'd be kicking myself tomorrow).

Just told him to pretend he'd marked a lottery ticket and that if he found it hard then so did all the others. (After all my boy IS brighter than them :lol: But I am now scouring the appeals and 12+ threads! )

Going out for dinner tonight and I won't mention it, we'll just have a good time and talk about Christmas.......... Until next Tuesday :roll:

Notion Potion,

We were actually early!! Must have checked the clock hourly during the night :lol: I can't seem to judge the morning traffic and roads seemed quieter today!

Best of Luck to all of you.

Scatshouse.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Bernard only mi55ed 1+1 questions.

NotionPotion's 1+1 cats were miraculously away from danger early in the morning.

The signs are good for the Wirral 11+ children.

It's just normal to feel nervous. I think he'11 settle and te11 you more later on...but everyone is in the same canoe pelting down the rapids, so hang in there, both of you.
What have I done to Bernard ??
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Scatshouse,

Please don't worry too much. If your son came out thinking it was hard I bet everyone else did too.
Last year newbie But Stressed was thinking the same thing and her DD romped it home.
My DD on the other hand thought they were both the same as practice tests, she was confident of herself.. She missed by a couple of points.. You really can't judge and you can do yourself unthinkable injuries by thinking you can.. Trust me!

Take time with your children over this next week and try not to think about next week.
What is done.. is done now and you can only focus ahead..

Good Luck to all of you..

AM
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Just to set your mind at ease..

Children in our school found it difficult also, most ran out of time with 2-3 questions to go.

Hope I have put your mind at ease Scatshouse, but doubting that.. :?

1 down 1 to go..

First paper seems to echo first paper for Bucks.. I wonder.. :shock:

Good Luck to you all...

AM
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

My daughter said she thought that the test was "ok" (so expressive!), she managed to finish in time, she went back on a few questions and completed them but they were not her favourite question types. So who knows!
Quite a few of her chums didn't manage to finish.
Scatshouse- I wouldn't worry too much. Your son only missed out a few questions and when you look back at postings throughout the country there are plenty of children who do that and still pass with flying colours! Conversely there are plenty of children who think it was easy and go on to fail so have faith! Also we've still got another paper to go!
Enjoy a relaxing evening and Best of luck!
emmy and the boys

my son also ran out of time

Post by emmy and the boys »

my son found the maths questions difficult on todays paper, seems to be echoed through the school.
he is an april birthday does anyone know how many he would need to pass?
feel like im cracking up, and he is terrifed of his tutor finding out he didnt finish in time :roll:
have tried to reasure him, but not sure my self if its all over
advice greatfully recived
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Emmy,

Your son has done his best and hopefully that will be good enough. :D
he is terrifed of his tutor finding out he didnt finish in time
He is in the same boat as a lot of other children today who echo your concern. Let him know others found it difficult and didn't have enough time to finish it all too. :D

The age standardised question (birthdays) is an open-ended discussion. :roll:
The truth is nobody apart from NFER themselves know how it correlates to raw scores. If we were given raw scores in our results we could figure out what percentage our child got and how many more points were gained by when birthdays fell.
But that is precisely why NFER standardise it! (IMO)
Even if we did know what the points given last year were, they would still be of no use this year as standards differ from each year group.
What may have been a pass last year for an April child, may not be the case this year and vice versa.
Your child will only be assessed and standardised against children of the same year group and birthday month.
Therefore the age standardisation points can and will differ from year to year.

I know it's hard to face not knowing how they are marked and assessed.
But the truth is nobody apart from NFER knows and that’s the way they like it. :evil:

There is one more test to go, put this one behind you and focus on next weeks.

and Please try not to worry. (I know easier said than done.. :roll: )
You will find tremendous support over the coming months on this forum..

Good luck to you and your son..

AM
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

totally agree with AM's post...

I wish I had this site this time last year to put my mind at rest.. Not as many where posting their kids experiences so I had no news about how others were feeling..

My daughter sat last year didn't finish and missed about 5 questions (so she tells me) out..

She finished the second paper and got exactly the same marks for both papers..

I assumed it was all over after the first paper... so for anyone who's child did not finish take note!!

You still have the second paper to make it up..

AND DON'T THINK YOUR CHILD HAS FAILED IF THEY HAVE MISSED ANY OUT.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now