11+ Appeal - How to apply for a school now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Adrestia

Re: 11+ Appeal - How to apply for a school now

Post by Adrestia »

I spoke to the admissions team and they advised that results information was sent out by post with invitations to provide supporting information for IAB. However HT is certain nothing has been received so has been told to call them and make a referral with supporting info, which she said that she will do. They said that they will look at it. I really hope that they can give DD just the 1 mark that she needs as I know, like we all do, that our children would do really well in a single sex grammar school. It has been a tough couple of years for us with divorce etc so this would be the stability that she needs.

I'' going to put it all in writing aswll and put West Kirby down as 1st choice.

The preferences for Wirral schools seems to go, Upton Hall, WGS and then WKGs but imo WK is my favourite. I think with a borderline score putting WK before WG might be better?

It's such a minefield!
Beacherlover1

Post by Beacherlover1 »

Oh dear sound like a bit of a nightmare with the results not being sent out. DH says his school were sent it by email.
My dd is currently at WK as this was also our and her favourite and she's loving it so far. It is generally less subscribed than WG.
Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.
Adrestia

Post by Adrestia »

Beacherlover1 wrote:Oh dear sound like a bit of a nightmare with the results not being sent out. DH says his school were sent it by email.
My dd is currently at WK as this was also our and her favourite and she's loving it so far. It is generally less subscribed than WG.
Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.

Thank you! I think with us being in a Cheshire West LEA that they didn't get email updates. Bless her, she is the only 1 girl of 5 who have sat. I will let you know how it goes. Sorry Trickie for coming in on your thread! Good luck.
Trickie

Post by Trickie »

Don't worry at all Adrestia.

So am i understanding this correctly, the Wirral schools received the results via email several days ago and the schools had the opportunity to supply evidence for the IAB but the Cheshire schools didnt so have missed out on a chance for an early review before the appeal process in March? Or is this only if you have exceptional circumstances, which we don't.

Which submissions team did you speak to please? Sorry now im hijacking your thread!

I also preferred WK but DD likes WG.
Adrestia

Post by Adrestia »

Trickie wrote:Don't worry at all Adrestia.

So am i understanding this correctly, the Wirral schools received the results via email several days ago and the schools had the opportunity to supply evidence for the IAB but the Cheshire schools didnt so have missed out on a chance for an early review before the appeal process in March? Or is this only if you have exceptional circumstances, which we don't.

I also preferred WK but DD likes WG.
Thanks Trickie :) Admissions said that the results were sent to Cheshire schools by posts. Wirral received them by email. The HT of our primary has had to phone to raise the issue that she didn't receive anything. They said they would look into this. I think there should be an automatic review of near misses and on some threads they talk about all cases within 15 marks but I'm not sure which tests they are referring to. It is academic information which will be considered by the IAB so hopefully the school have some recent test information they can share such as SAT practises. Hoping and praying for a review. The ranges in the scores appears to be narrow. The highest from our school being 244 and another girl 240, so we're definitely not miles out!

I'"lol keep you posted x
Trickie

Post by Trickie »

thanks for the information, appreciate it. I will speak to school on Monday morning and see if they can put a call in too. Would be good not to have to wait another 6 months!
i need to nose around some more threads!
Good luck :)
mammy1

Post by mammy1 »

I have been successfully through the appeal process on the Wirral a couple of years ago.
As your DC has not met the required standard for a Grammar school place you do not put this on the Wirral admissions/school selection form, you only put down your choices in priority order of the schools available to you . When your DC is offered their school place on the 1st March'17, you accept it otherwise you run the risk of losing it if your appeal is unsuccessful. Also on that form there is a section on "how to appeal", follow the instructions and you then start your appeal campaign. Expect a date for appeal to be around May. Good Luck!
PS.... you can not start the appeal process before 1st March'17.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mammy1 wrote:I have been successfully through the appeal process on the Wirral a couple of years ago.
As your DC has not met the required standard for a Grammar school place you do not put this on the Wirral admissions/school selection form, you only put down your choices in priority order of the schools available to you . When your DC is offered their school place on the 1st March'17, you accept it otherwise you run the risk of losing it if your appeal is unsuccessful. Also on that form there is a section on "how to appeal", follow the instructions and you then start your appeal campaign. Expect a date for appeal to be around May. Good Luck!
PS.... you can not start the appeal process before 1st March'17.
I'm not sure how you can appeal for a place at a school when you have not applied for it - i.e. by naming it on the CAF you submit to your local authority - and been turned down?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Trickie

Post by Trickie »

Wirral allow you to appeal to any school whether they were on the CAF or not. Not sure why it's different to other authorities but it certainly removes the risk of not getting a decent high school place should the appeal not be successful, which was really worrying.
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Hello all, I feel all your pain! We too went through the appeals process the same year as Mammy 1. We were successful with ours as well. DD had missed by two points and she wanted WKGS.

Mammy 1 is quite right with regard to CAF form. You are not allowed to put Grammar School down as choice as they have not passed. So you need to make sure you have your choice of other school in order of preference as you run risk of not gaining a place. There is information on how to appeal on the letter you will receive on 1st March.

This is where the long and sometimes stressful process begins. You will need to provide as much educational info as possible i.e. Sats levels (preferred level 5) in English maths and science reading and spelling age and recent NFER normally 120 and above is good.

Normally the primary school will have already referred to IAB if they feel that is required. This is why the schools know the results earlier so they can start the process. It is rare that the IAB grant a place straight away unless there is a letter supporting a reason for a near miss.

This is just the start. Prepare your case and get as much info and support from your primary school as possible.

I wish you all luck and hope you get your choices. By all means feel free to message me if anybody needs any info.